Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - September 2019

From Behind The Curtain

Create everyday.

9 Likes

more line work. the picture doesn’t do it justice.

9 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with vacuum formed molds for chocolate to give as gifts. Maybe @Team_PR would be interested in something(cleaned up a lot better) like this to give to people on tours?

15 Likes

That’s a great idea. Can you be at meeting on Sunday afternoon?

1 Like

Temper, temper…

1 Like

Stacking storage/transport crates for our black and white tiles.
Made from 1/2" blondwood plywood for the sides and 5mm underlayment for the bottoms and stacking alignment tabs, and all corners joined using a routed lock miter joint.

20 Likes

At the behest of Creative Arts chair, @BarkingChicken, I constructed these two cabinets from the box. Only assistance was (1) @maxk68 who helped me decipher the instructions connecting the top/bottom of the doors on the first foray, (2) @Lordrook who helped me get #1 upright, (3) @dougemes who helped me attach the doors to #1, and @LAndras who helped me get #2 upright. (I figured out the shortcuts to eliminate some of the need for assistance for #2.)

I gotta say, these units (available at a Sam’s Club near you) are packed in an amazing manner. Even better than IKEA packing. And with the bonus of a product name that I can pronounce in my head vs. Iktorp or Flemväng.

17 Likes

And it’s all carefully engineered to fit into a Honda Fit, right?

1 Like

Knife made from an old saw blade with sapele handle.

23 Likes

nicely done.

1 Like

Purty!
But why do I picture bad guys in a movie using this to stab the good guy?

2 Likes

Using dyesub to make custom ribbons for dog collars. SO much fun!

17 Likes

Sublimated design onto white glitter vinyl, this is how you can sub on dark fabrics. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Share your secrets in a class please :smiley:

1 Like

Your ribbon turned out great! I love what you did with them.

“One Block Wonder” quilt completed this month (approximately 6 feet squared). The front is constructed from a single piece of fabric; blue dragons, which you can see intact on the back. This is a surprise gift for my brother. Can you guess the first letter of his last name?

DSC_4346b_600px

I freehand quilted a dragon over the large “S” using my home sewing machine. My goal was a subtle dragon. Photo shows the dragon head (zoom in and you may also see the stitched “scales”).

I laser cut a paper template to trace the planned dragon stitching onto water-soluble interfacing. The dragon is puffy – he is triple-batted with laser-cut batting. I used laser cut echo guides for a small portion of the quilting. I rented long arm time at Sew Let’s Quilt It to stitch the computerized “background” pattern, prior to stitching the dragon.

Laser-cut batting, shown from the rear

Laser-cut echo guide (after most of the water-soluble interfacing was cut away)
IMG_8334_400px

22 Likes

Wait … shouldn’t this have been 6 cm squared?? Seems so out of scale for you!
Seriously, very impressive.

5 Likes

If you taught a quilting class I would take it even though I’m not very good at sewing. These are beautiful and amazing. You combined the art of quilting with the amazing technology of the laser. Great job!

1 Like

So is that 36 sf total?

1 Like

Just felt like working on a leather stamp yesterday. this is 3x5 for a roper wallet.

create everyday.

13 Likes