Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - September 2019

My first executive pen (lathe)

13 Likes

Used them today for the first time and they were Ahhhhmmmaaaazzzinnng! Stan shot some quick video with chips flying and I’ll get those from him tomorrow to post. Again - fantastic job Dave - The balance and tool feel for what is going on beneath the chisel is wonderful! So many thanks!

4 Likes

A ring I made in the simple band rings with hydroflux torch class tonight.

22 Likes

Glad they are working well, Paul!

A swirl. This is a test piece to see if it would work. Now I can use this in an array of ‘tiles’ for a larger project. 5" in Mesquite. Create everyday.

12 Likes

Collaborative project with @tex_maam. We worked together to make a door for the lock picking classes.

16 Likes

This is my first attemp at a multi-layer project. Butterfly in 4 layers in plain baltic birch plywood.
The background could be any color or a piece of veneer or colored paper for a 5th level.
Create everyday.

IMG_2439

14 Likes

That’s awesome!

1 Like

More of a brag than a show 'n tell, since I already show and told sometime back, but I was notified earlier this week that my quilt, Moe Dog!, has been awarded an Honorable Mention in the International Quilt Association “World of Beauty” judged show, which will be on display during the Houston International Quilt Festival at the end of October. The quilt is a portrait of Gizmo, the Australian Shepherd who “owned” @ioport51 when we first met 10+ years ago.

22 Likes

And in other makery business, I have been stitching on this zipper pouch during down time over the past few weeks. Mostly at DMS Board meetings or binge-watching vintage Magnum P.I. episodes. Now it’s finished. Yay!

21 Likes

Help! My Zebra’s melting!

Laser engraving in mesquite. Create everyday.

15 Likes

Freaky Friday Halloween twist chain mail tonight.
A huge thank you to @Lindajdallas & @JohnK for the class

14 Likes

Had a blast in @Lindajdallas’s chainmaille class this afternoon! Here are a few examples of the Halloween double spiral weave we did.

13 Likes

Had a great time at our Friday the 13th chainmaille class with @Lindajdallas ! :smile: My photos don’t show the colors clearly, but I made a black & orange Halloween necklace from 2 of the class kits.

15 Likes

Finally finished mine from last night!
Thanks!

13 Likes

Normally in Shapeoko basic class I create an ad-hoc random model to show a few basic operations. However, this past week I thought I’d try knocking out something a bit more useful, a slotted adapter for my auto jack. The generated toolpaths on this first quick prototype were rather awful but the finished part worked out OK.

11 Likes

That quilt is amazing and I can’t even figure out how it was made which I find unusual since I’m a I was a fairly accomplished fabric artist back in my day. I would love to know more about what type of quilting this was. Because it is absolutely fabulous!

Between back to school & a health setback I haven’t made it up to the space for a few weeks…but this totally counts since it wouldn’t be possible without DMS! @bpamplin please tell the RBNO guys THANK YOU since I can’t get there Tuesday. These are student collographs done on the laser refurbished this summer w/ DMS brains and tools. Safety housing for it done on Multicam.

12 Likes

An example of a printed collograph plate (Proof stage)

10 Likes

WOW! That’s amazing!