Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - September 2019

Not done at Makerspace, still trying to get my wife, to get more involved.
She did this last night, done with a Crayon on the background. Acrylic paints for the tree & leaves. I figured I could at least share it.

22 Likes

Just tell her that I miss her feistiness and we still got a whole lotta baseboard glue in ca😂

This is the beginning of a scarf for the Ravenclaw of the family.

It’s loom knitting for people who don’t want to knit with knitting needles.

I made this crocheted basket early. Trick or Treat! :jack_o_lantern:

14 Likes

Finally got the temple frame for my classroom door put up. Cut out on the Thunder with help from @talkers @Kriskat30 @Kevin @tomthm . Thanks to everyone for their advice and help!!

More shirts for wearing to the shelter. Yay dye sub!! :heart:

Sewed and dye subbed a new halloween bag

25 Likes

Door looks great, and nice work on the dye sub!

1 Like

So I came into the space this afternoon and saw the coolest treehouse ever. made from popsicle sticks by Olivia who is 9 going on 10 and I asked if I could share this here. Young makers rock!

20 Likes

Awesome temple frame! (And I loved taking Latin in high school. One of the few good decisions I made in high school.)

1 Like

Life has been tough for this Standroid. She’s a topless dancer who goes by her stage name of “Cherry.” She was Coked-out at an early age, which led to negative self-esteem so severe that she tattooed the word Zero on her leg. She survives on the generosity of perverts.

This Aluminoids design is made from a Coke Zero can, a Diet Coke can, and a Diet Coke Splenda can. The stage is the lid of a butter cookie tin placed on top of books. She’s stapled to a straw. The straw is held to a hole in the base by an unclosed rivet (with mandrel attached) and an internal green plastic wall anchor (with toothpicks used internally as spacers). To make the Standroid figures, I used my Aluminator to divide the cans into 8-panel sections that were folded and cut into humanoid shapes. [Standroid, Aluminator, and Aluminoids are my trademarks.] #aluminoids, #aluminator, #standroid

My Aluminator was 3D printed from ABS plastic on the DMS Polyprinter.

9 Likes

I finished my exhaust. It’s all 3" stainless mandrel bent and Tig welded. It’s a Vibrant stainless muffler with a Vibrant ultra-quiet resanator. It also makes noses that make me pants happy.

And lastly, the noises.

11 Likes

It was a cast, and TALK requires a minimum number of characters in a post, so he added some.

I was hoping for a whistle tip :frowning:

1 Like

Are you my mummy?
———

Spent the evening painting some RPG minis with my daughter and her friend.

17 Likes

I can only fit so much awesome in to one exhaust!

3 Likes

This weekend on Friday, Saturday and Sunday there were four of us who took Wayne’s (@sawdust ) class. It was 20 hours of excellent instruction in the art and passion of marquetry. Wayne is a widely recognized expert in marquetry and we all had a fabulous time learning from him. He was assisted by Jim, who had previously taken Wayne’s class in Austin. Jim was also primarily responsible for getting Wayne to teach our class at DMS.

I have always been fascinated with marquetry. It is a very old wookworking technique that takes considerable skill to be good at. Like most skills marquetry takes practice and excellent instruction.
This weekend we had a class taught by someone who is very practiced at his craft of marquetry. It is one of his passions.

I hope that Wayne decides to teach other classes here at DMS. I think he’d like to teach an advanced class on how to incorporate marquetry into furniture. The class would be building a little “liquor”, "spice rack
, curio cabinet project. The introductory class was very enjoyable for everyone. I persuaded my family to take the class with me. So my wife and son came to the class, too and both had an excellent time. We especially enjoyed “making” together. While it was a busy three days, it was certainly well worth it.

Here are the pictures of all of the creations. They really are true pieces of art. We plan to frame all of them.

26 Likes

Wow! That is definitely art! I didn’t sign up since I knew I’d have to miss Sunday, but if the opportunity and timing converge, I’d love to learn this skill.

Good job inviting your family. You’re all very talented, @coloneldan!

2 Likes

Wayne told me in an email.

“I will certainly come back to DMS soon. Probably I will do a free Demo or two to generate interest then another class. There we’re many folks that wrote they wanted to attend but were unavailable that weekend.”

Wayne @sawdust makes the class fun, interesting and very enjoyable. He’s also said that he’s always available by email to get his advice on your marquetry projects.

Thank you for the compliment.

3 Likes

And here are these beauties installed on handles.
I’m really looking forward to trying these out tomorrow!
It’s like Christmas in September! Thanks Again Dave!

9 Likes

Forgive my ignorance: are these tool holders?
I’d love to see some pics of them “in action”, if anyone is willing to help get/post them… :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, they are handles for the chisels used on the lathes to turn wood. Complete DMS build, Dave’s talents in design and machining and milling metal in our shop and I made the wooden handle. I’ll be using them tomorrow so I’ll see if we can get a few pics.

3 Likes

Hall of Lines. Another 3D illusion piece. 4.5” in Mesquite. Cnc carved. Create everyday.

12 Likes