Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - May 2019

smart!

Edit: if the bottom was not flat, i.e. irregular, what types of effects might be possible?

For instance what if it was sloped like deep end of a pool? Or higher in middle and lower all around as if an island was just below the surface?

2 Likes

I figured I’m due a good idea every once in a while! :grin:

1 Like

Well, resin self-levels,so I’m not 100% sure. I’ve had some thoughts about doing some 3d stuff in the middle of the frame (like a hand reaching up out of water, for example). I think you’d have to pour the resin in multiple layers or use a more transparent tinting process (like alcohol ink) in order to be able to see it. I typically use a combination of acrylic paint, alcohol ink, and pigment to color my resin.

1 Like

Metal wedding rounds created in Inkscape, and cut on the Dynatorch then powder coated. Powder coating was the hardest part!

18 Likes

yes, top would be flat (stupid gravity!) but depths/varying layers/etc. could be interesting.

A friend was telling me about one of the houses on the “weird house tour” in Austin. The kitchen counters were multilayered resin pours with painting on each layer that created 3D effects, like swimming goldfish.

4 Likes

I made another led sign for a satellite aerospace software company called KUBOS in Denton.

Check out the video

15 Likes

I NEED to learn how to make those! So cool’

Been tinkering with a process to allow members to laser circuit boards onto Kapton tape using the Epilogue, then copper plate and then pcb solder SMD parts. If one looks closely at the tracks, one can deduce there’s still a lot of room for improvement in the overall process but I’m feeling more confident, but not definite, after this that there’s logical circumstances for makers fabricating boards this way.

The copper plating is the slowest part of the process on which I have a few ideas to improve upon.

The resistance of the tracks was 2 ohms after copper plating. The tracks turned orange after the plating and black again after the PCB heating but retained their conductivity… not sure what that second color change is about… any ideas?

9 Likes

Fire pit. Butane

19 Likes

ferrofluid toy thing

14 Likes

DMS Setting up for steam roll printing at Deep Ellum Arts company.

9 Likes

Looks like it will be a nice day.

9 Likes

Prints

20 Likes

Yep, as @Anette_Henningson’s photos show, it was a busy day of printing ala Steamroller today at Deep Ellum Art Co. The light show on the display was interesting. @Belles’ print (the Lady Liberty near the center) had a cool flashing light display on it that looked like fireworks. The two James’ (@mrjimmy and @cdbjames) work ended up as the bookends, with purple light shows going on. But here are closer pix of each of the Makerspace Print Monkey blocks with my own unsolicited commentary.

(photo edits below - the horizontal ones were hard to see, so enlarged.)

anette-h
Anette Henningson

james-d
James D.
(right as I was trying to take a photo, the digital overlays changed to this purple design. Wasn’t something I could photoshop out…)

jamesh
James Henningson
(this was inspired by a family vacation to Tahiti.

judy-k
Judy Kriehn
(ME! I call this “Dinos of Walmart #1” Shout-out to my friend Debbie Herring, who helped me narrow down the wide variety of ideas I had to one so I could get started carving the damn block. She came to watch and ended up being on “team paper” for the day.)

marym
Mary Mulherin
(I love this. #she-persisted)

matt-m
Matt Mulherin
(This was the “big event” print for the day. It does NOT have Deep Ellum in the upper left. That was part of the light show. But it does have THREE colors involved. Three people furiously rolling ink on three different pieces of wood trying to beat the drying ink. So of course the brayer I was working with kept self-destructing. I’m so sorry Matt…)

rose
Rose Smith @Just_Me
(edit - @John_Marlow figured out her last name
This was one of my favorites. It is an ode to a beloved dog.)

rose-son
Rose’s son.
(My feeble brain doesn’t remember his name. It is based on a stained glass window.)

sofia-h
Sofia Henningson
(this was another of my favorites. It might be hung upside down. I’m not sure. But, to me, it looks like a constellation superimposed over the Milky Way.)

19 Likes

pea pods made in my class Saturday afternoon these are the peapods from my students in Saturday afternoons class I think they all turned out very nice.

17 Likes

Had a great time at the Makerspace today. Took a paint like Bob Ross class first, then Doug helped me cut and laser one of my new flower presses I wanted. Love how it ended up after adding the color too.

17 Likes

Is that Big Foot on the left side? I didn’t know BR added fauna to all of his happy flora.

Maaaaaybe. BR just didn’t want to out the big guy :crazy_face::wink::grin:

2 Likes

All such stunning and wonderful prints.

The added comment #shePersisted is powerful :blue_heart:

2 Likes