Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - May 2019

Aspire. But since it is a 2D carvng, the vcarve pro is usable for this.

Finished this coffee table. Top is english walnut, Alumilite clear resin with graphite powder, table base is black walnut. It’s blueish in the sun but more gray indoors. Finished with Odie’s Oil.

33 Likes

Wow!
And more extemporaneous praise to add enough letters.

1 Like

Stunning! You two did such great work. @texantrinity

1 Like

My take on a slim line wallet. 4-5oz veg tan leather (which is a little thicker than I want). 4mm stitch. Black oil paint on the burnished edges, then beeswax.

I made the fit too tight, so I wet the leather and stuffed it with 6 cards. It stretched and molded around them. Over time, it will stretch if I need to add another card or two. The water darkened the leather, but left a consistent look. Then I added mink oil.

Tried it out today. Super tiny in the front pocket. I’ve drawn up another design I should have ready tomorrow.

22 Likes

You have to see this in person to see the color pop!! I was in a rush, I should have put the lid on better. It does fit.

21 Likes

I’d like to check this out in person next time we see each other, please.

2 Likes

Released my First Album today!
Acoustic - Spanish Classical - Folk
Matthew J Pearson
Spent 5 months working on this material and finally happy with it.
Cheers!

13 Likes

Congratulations on making, and on deploying the music where many others may enjoy it.
Would you consider allowing @denzuko the opportunity to stream it sometime on his shoutcast server? I’m sure PR would love to do a write up as well to put onto Facebook etc in a short while.

Of Course!

1 Like

Looks great!

1 Like

20 Likes

You’ve had a busy month, excellent makery! Also, Disenchanted is the bomb!

2 Likes

Another 3D illusion piece, this time cut on the laser. One going in, one going out

22 Likes

So I have some retrofit stuff at work that was not drop in replacement like it was supposed to be. So I created in Fusion 360 my cut file into the DXF. I cut the parts out on the Dynatorch today using 22 gauge mild steel & fine cut consumables. After I was done I cleaned them up on the KMG. Then I TOOK them HOME & gave them some quick rattle can. These will hold my molex style connectors for som wireing harnesess. The squareish portion is .400” with the out cuts being .100”. Not much but its something. I did also manage to get some TIG time in with the new Miller.

I did not clean the hot rolled steel with acetone or anything other than a flap disk. These pieces came out of the scrap bin for practice. The first bead on top had several stops & starts with minimal filler. The lower I turned the heat up some & gave it more filler. Not sure why the lower weld has some weird spots in it. (Looks kinda like fireworks in the weld bead)

18 Likes

wonderful work

Picture does not reflect color well. The color is a really bright copper.

13 Likes

Still green clay, it’s going to sit in a holder. Black onyx clay, will turn black when it is fired to vitrification (cone 6)

12 Likes

My first attempt using a vinyl mask for a ceramic piece to be used at a wedding. It ended up a little bit fuzzy, probably because I didn’t have time to fire it again before glazing but I am pleased with the results.

15 Likes

I’ve spent the last few weeks getting qualified on the Multicam so that I could make frames for my resin art. I love pouring, but I hate dealing with the edges, so my solution was to create a frame that I could just pour straight into and then hang right up after its cured.

Hard to tell in the pictures, but I painted the frames with a white Sherwin Williams paint that’s made for doors and trim. Little to no sanding was needed.

29 Likes