Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - March 2020

Amazing. Please come to school and show off your art when we are back on…pleeease?!

Sounds intriguing…

1 Like

Putting a little extra BANG into a Nerf dart…

I’ve been doing some fun things with the kids while we’re cooped up at home. MakerSpace is closed :frowning_face: and my employer has implemented a mandatory “work-from-home” policy. So here’s something we did last night for fun…

We had a package of POP-ITS, those paper things you throw and they pop when they hit the ground. We used a hot glue gun to glue those into Nerf darts that had lost their orange tips, loaded them into our guns and had a blast. (No shooting at people or animals was allowed.)

Be healthy and safe,

Phil

17 Likes

I started this baby blanket in the summer and hadn’t figured out how to make a decent star. It’s newborn size, and my friend’s baby is now six months old! Oops.

The Texas flag fascinates me. I love the colors, proportions, and symmetry, and of course Texas pride. I’m also working on a Texas flag throw blanket.

12 Likes

A forged, drifted, and twisted bottle opener.

14 Likes

Me and kiddo made scorpion and whip scorpion based on @Sarah_Hustwit wire wrap class.

13 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind if/when the opportunity arises again.

1 Like

Reversed the polarity on my solar panel out so that it successfully charge my battery box. Not an intense project but, soldering above my head sucks. So I’m proud.

8 Likes

Well that’s not going to work… lol, the colors & angry pixies aren’t going to be happy
:smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Cutting board:

Pens:

Battery powered accent lamp, still not quite finished:

13 Likes

Made a new light fixture for my kitchen to replace an ugly $15 Home Depot fluorescent one.

15 Likes

Man, that’s really nice. I wish I had a place for a fixture like that.

2 Likes

Are those the HF light string? If so, cool application.

1 Like

No, I bought the sockets and bulbs on eBay and the spoil of wire from a supply place online. Cut and spliced everything.
The cord tries to recoil and I had to hang the pieces in my garage for months to straighten out. Tried a heat gun to relax them some too. I’d use the twisted fabric covered wire next time.
The bulbs are true 60w incandescent and that totals 900 watts. Much too hot and bright. I’m replacing them with 40w equivalent (3.5w) ‘filament’ LEDs now and will install a dimmer at the wall switch.
Here’s a picture of the top while wiring it up.

5 Likes

Seems to me the sleeve negates the use of a can at all. I would think you could reduce materials by slicing the sleeve into a U shape that would accomplish the same guide. Maybe a side notch to gauge spacing. Just a thought.

1 Like

First finished fabric mask (still need to add straps/elastic):

14 Likes

I think you’re supposed to mask your face . . . .

But the child-friendly dinosaur theme is an interesting choice.

2 Likes

To be up to code those wire nuts should be inside metal junction boxes.

1 Like

Yea… that’s why I didn’t post this picture the first time.
Are you aware of any 3/4” thick junction boxes? Or any up to code ways to splice them without a box?