Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - June 2019

Automatic Dog Feeder

I almost didn’t post this project because it’s more utilitarian than artistic, but it’s done and it works so here it is… I wanted to have something that would allow my family to take weekend camping trips without having to bother our usual dog sitter. Our dog stays outside but will eat every bit of food available, so just leaving extra food wasn’t an option.

This contraption has a food hopper, an auger mechanism that is rotated by a windshield wiper motor to transfer the food from the hopper to the shoot and it is controlled by an Arduino. It has a real time clock module that keeps track of the time and dispenses one potion of food twice daily at specific times. The motor is driven by an IBT-2 H-Bridge (which is an overkill, but I had one laying around). Because the auger speed can vary depending on the amount of food in the hopper, I added a KY-040 rotary encoder so I can turn the auger a set number of turns – accurate to 1/60th of a revolution, keeping the dispensed portion very consistent.

The auger was 3D printed on Bubba and then machined to a tight tolerance, which worked great. The auger fits inside of two 3" PVC sanitary tees which are nice because they have the sweeping tee that helps the food ingress and egress. The end blocks were 3D printed and designed to fit into the PVC tees and supported press-fit bearings so the auger turns easily and has no end-to-end movement. The coupler between the motor and the auger shaft was machined from aluminum and the coupler to the rotary encoder was 3D printed with a tapped set screw. The feed mechanism went into a basic wooden enclosure built out of what I had and the electronics went into a water-tight electrical enclosure.

Nearly Finished Feeder (Still inside to verify operation)

Under the lid - View of Auger Mechanism:

Electronics (before fully mounted and closed up)

Feed Auger (after machining)

If you’re concerned about water for the dog, don’t panic, the dog Watering Station is under construction.

Phil

18 Likes

Robotics guys always think the simple stuff is simple…but its not. I certainly wouldn’t be able to pull that off. Nice job

@BarkingChicken and @kyrithia were nice enough to let me borrow the sponge-thingies for the day to take to the Denton Quilt Guild Art Quilt Bee, so they could try out 3D needle-felting, and maybe be inspired by the Dallas Makerspace. I dragged along a fellow DMS member, @MizGeek, so she can ease back into art Quilty-ness.

They all had a blast. There was a portrait of one members late Great Pyrenees,
barb-greatpyr
a sheep,
donna-sheep
two eyeballs (this is one, photographed after Tonya took it home and inserted it into her husband’s old dental school skull)

some flowers,
debbie-rose
a bunny, and a crown
laurie-crown
from the new wool-stabbers. I got this far on a bug-eyed fish:

15 Likes

That is gorgeous!

Made this little pendant in the Metaza Metal Engraving class. I just love it, and have worn it every day since. Can’t wait to try some other projects!

Cindy

11 Likes

very nice work

how hard is it to make felt planets? Would love to make a solar system mobile.

9 Likes

Super easy! Would actually be an excellent beginner project for you. The armature can be a foam ball, sheet felt then embroider Saturn’s rings. I put up a 2D felt painting class that would help you learn some techniques for your surface decoration and will do a soft circuit class when I’m back from vacation if you get fancy pants and want things to light up

1 Like

Perhaps the antithesis of digital age communication, this is a piece of paper I made in @MrsMoose paper making class. This particular piece is large enough to be cut to a 5" x 7" size and was made from some old prints (that we’ll call experiments) that had yet to make their way to the recycle bin.

12 Likes

XWhile Amanda’s plan is an option, my low tech process would be start stabbing together a ball of crap wool to build the core (my highly technical term for the uncleared raw wool that has bits of dirt and hay entangled in it, so it’s free to use) and build it up to an approximation of the size you want, then start stabbing/wrapping colored wools around to make the surface designs. The eyeball that was stuck into the skull eye socket was about 1.5” in diameter, and she created that in just a couple of hours. With no earlier 3D experience. (She had done some flat stuff like Amanda was describing.) First thing I ever needle-felted was an eyeball as well. Not because that’s a thing, but because I just tend to be weird that way. And it was around Halloween. And I had no desire to make a little felted pumpkin.

Sometime when we’re both there without other pressing business, I can show you the ropes.

2 Likes

I have made my family Christmas cards (and string-tie “envelopes”). This year I’m prepared just in case it’s hard to get onto the lasers at Christmas time. (OK, and I wanted to make these anyway.)

Full disclosure - the idea is heavily plagiarized from a die cut card I saw online.

The “front” is upside down from what you’d expect, but this way it’s viewable from both sides when it’s open.

The inside:

20 Likes

Wow, so amazing! They will love those.

1 Like

The cards are adorable!

1 Like

Where’s the penny for size comparison?
(snicker)

5 Likes

I did a little exhaust work. Went from a nice rattling factory muffler to a flowmaster 60 series.

13 Likes

amazing job

1 Like

Very nice. So will you make a Muffler Man sculpture out of the old rattling muffler?

I made a pile of muffler in the dumpster with it. lol

2 Likes

Sad trombone…

1 Like

something different. this is more of a chameleon piece of hiding in plain sight. Lasred on maple plywood.

8 Likes