Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - June 2018

Hey all, I made a stop motion music video and used the DMS lasers to engrave a judge’s desk and floor in the first scene, and background of a temple in the last scene. I used the woodshop to cut the wood that I made the table out of to film the video. I didn’t do all of this in June, but I released the video today, so it feels like a good time to show everything that led up to it.

I wouldn’t have been able to make the video without the DMS and the community. Thank you soooooo much everyone for creating such a friendly environment conducive to making stuff. I also built the acoustic panels I treated my room with to use while mixing the song at DMS!

Also… here is the finished video :slight_smile:

16 Likes

The video came out great!

Thanks!! I appreciate it!!

I love that<<<<<< Cheese cutter?

Well I’m on to my second really big HAAS project! A folding knife, and I just finished the HAAS portion of the handle, it’s not perfect but honestly turned out better then I expected

3D printed test and the billet

Half way there

Will be getting wood inlays and a bit more work but that’s it so far!!

A huge thank you to @nicksilva, @Photomancer and everyone else who has taught me in the machine shop! Just a year ago I had never used any kind of mill or machined anything, thank you all so much for making me able to turn my ideas into reality.

25 Likes

Thank us by teaching or mentoring other members! Great work. The student has exceeded this teacher.

6 Likes

Very nice man. Is that steel?

Nope, it is aluminum, the blade will be D2 tho. And hopefully I can machine it tonight or tomorrow

3 Likes

run that thru a tumbler to give it a satin finish.

3 Likes

Ya - I ended up using struts after buying these hinges which despite being called soft close are the antithesis of baby or adult friendly and close slowly until the last couple inches then slam shut.

12 Likes

The math for using a lathe is simple. But I keep making mistakes. Lots of mistakes. Of the last six pins I tried to make I managed to ruin all six because of simple math mistakes. So, I made Lathe Helper…

http://lh.recycledknockers.com/

It’s parked at that domain solely because I already had it and it wasn’t serving a purpose. (“Recycled knockers” as in “door knockers made from recycled materials”. In case anyone was wondering.)

There are three inputs…
Goal: This is the target diameter. For example, if I am trying to cut a 1/8" section then I would enter 0.125.
Mic: This is the current diameter typically measured using a micrometer (thank you again Walter!). For example, if the brass rod I purchased is 0.2233" then I would enter 0.2233.
DRO: This is the current X-axis reading on the DRO. For example, if I had just touched-off then reset the DRO then I would enter 0.

The decimal is optional. If excluded then four digits should be entered. For example 0.125 can instead be entered as 1250 and 0.2233 can be entered as 2233.

Clicking Refresh recalculates. New is the new target DRO value. I would cut the section until the DRO reads this value. Final is what I should expect the new micrometer reading to be.

It should work nicely on a mobile phone.

I have not yet used it so I don’t know if it really qualifies for the label “helper”.

While the application could have easily been built using JavaScript (giving it an automatic refresh) I wanted to get some experience with something new. The application is written using Java / Spring Boot and hosted on Amazon Web Services / Elastic Beanstalk. All new to me.

Obviously, anyone interested is welcome to use it and feedback is welcome.

7 Likes

I made some riding chinks (the culottes of chaps) for my wife. We do a lot of riding in rough/brushy areas and chinks help save your legs from pokes and scratches. 95% complete: still have a little final fit trimming and tuning to do once she tries them on.

18 Likes

I was thinking about that, hopefully it would also round off the sharp edges

1 Like

• This is a 4 Foot Outdoor sign
  • Will Martin (Willindigo)
  • Made using Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape and the Plasma Cam.
  • This sign is a gift for my father on Father’s Day. It contains a few Easter Eggs within the symbology that he will “get” but others will not.

This is only the second thing I have ever cut on the Plasma Cam and certainly the biggest so I am very happy with the result. Special thanks to @zmetzing for the original CNC Plasma training and @bpamplin for the recent refresher. Without these 2 I certainly couldn’t have made it. Also thanks to those who set up and continue to maintain the CNC plasma.

Edit: I originally thanked @talkers (John) for the Plasma training, he originally trained me for the lasers.

21 Likes

I’m curious what stock you used if you’re willing to share. Gauge thickness?
All one piece?
Also curious if you were able to do it all in one run…
Great work!

4 Likes

That is awesome! I like the Easter Egg hint. I think I can see a few but family secrets are fun. For those who are not aware, steel is very expensive and its very gutsy to lay a 4x4 slab on the table and hit Start for your new pattern. Your dad will be proud of it for years.

5 Likes

Sure, the stock was 3/16" hot rolled steel - 48" X 48" It is indeed 1 piece, but the drops prevented me from cutting the entire thing in one pass. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you Brady, next time I see you I will explain the secrets to you. :wink:

1 Like

Table I made in it’s new home. Thanks to @jeffbob for the save finding the slab on short notice.
This one is 8’ long and 18" wide. Had fun making a shipping crate to get this to FL.

19 Likes

Wow! Nice table.
How much was shipping?