Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - June 2018

I shipped the legs separately, for just the table top it was about $150.

Microcenter is selling these metalic USB drives in droves right now and they work great on the metaza. I’m still having a problem with images where they end up inverted. Here is a backup drive and a bootable linux drive I engraved today.

IMG_0177

IMG_0179

IMG_0178

16 Likes

Are they branded with something on the other side? What section of the store did you find them in?

Yes, it says “SAMSUNG” on the back.

IMG_0180

They are with the other USB flash storage. You can ask someone at the store.

2 Likes

Fired Arts: Alternate Clay Bodies Event, round two!

After a successful mica firing, we dove into our next clay body- Grolleg Porcelain. (And a few T-mix). This firing was the first time we’ve tried cranking our kiln up to Cone 10 (~2380F) in some time! We didn’t quite make it but we came pretty darn close. Sturdy pottery for the win.

These firings have been super fun and I’ve really enjoyed duscussing and making with everyone involved. Shoot me a pm if you are interested in continuing/joining and let’s keep this experimentation going!

Work by: @Anette_Henningson, @Steve1, @JasonM314, @cmcooper0 (And I think one other? Please let me know!)

18 Likes

I made this:

Really, I only helped a little.
I got to take her home on Father’s Day!

25 Likes

Congratulations! Blessed is the child that has loving parents and a caring family.

1 Like

We had a really good Dye Sub 101 class last night. Daniel Mejia made two of the best mouse pads I’ve ever seen come out of the heat press, and we had some like mugs made, too.

I’ll be scheduling another Dye Sub 101 class soon.

18 Likes

Very nice! I need to take this class!

1 Like

As a demo for our Silhouette Cameo Basics class on the 17th we made a vinyl chicken decal using the silhouette cameo. Small batch projects like this are where the Silhouette Cameo shines since you can use up scrap vinyl pieces that would otherwise be thrown out.

14 Likes

Wow, I don’t know much about dye sublimation, but I think I need to. Those mugs are fantastic, and I think that will solve a problem I’ve been struggling with.

3 Likes

@CaryF300 wrote a good page on our wiki describing what you can do with Dye Sublimation. It’s a good starting place to pique your interest while you await a class.

8 Likes

Wow, thanks! (and 20 characters)

1 Like

Thanks for posting the wiki link. Duh. It hadn’t occurred to me to check for one. I’ve been toying with learning that since I’ve been seeing some cool projects folks have done and it answered some of my basic questions to start. Now I’ll take a class sometime this summer.

Great write up @CaryF300

2 Likes

From tonight’s sewn leather project bag class.

15 Likes

Those look great! …

More great work from one of our Fired Arts potters.

Kellie Kerner
Handbuilt sign
‘Spec-tacular’ clay body, cone 6

19 Likes

Slipcast pieces, posted with permission of Sofia who slipcast the penguin, and painted the triceratops.

21 Likes

Oh man. Those are fantastic. I don’t think my painting skills are up to snuff for that dino, love the details on the scales. Is the blue/white glaze then?

3 Likes

I need that dragon in my life.

5 Likes