Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - July 2019

I’m going to tweak some more, but too excited not to share. 3d felting class was fun tonight :heart:

pDtnEG2

28 Likes

We’ve been having fun!

21 Likes

Thanks to Sue Rogers for her Simple Rings with the HydroFlux class.

Made a twisted wire ring that turned out pretty well for my first attempt.

20 Likes

I took the Midori Leather Book Tooling Class Series by @so_creative on a whim. I walked into the first class with zero knowledge and came out with a wonderful tooled, dyed and antiqued leather beautiful book cover. I’m very excited to tool more.

24 Likes

That gorgeous! I hope she offers it again. Looks super cool!

Well, I made this tool to help set the last rows of flooring. I made this out of 3/16” strap. I bent it on the press brake.

23 Likes

And he also played a HUGE part in putting down the new flooring in CA!

7 Likes

IMG_20190712_164019_445
Stoneware flower pot I made on the throwing wheel! It’s a little gift for my sisters birthday :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Soo cute! !!!

1 Like

We made penanulars in historical cloak pin class. I went a little off script, but I had fun :heart_eyes:
Thanks, @sroriginals !!

18 Likes

April and I squeezed in about 30 min practice time on the hand held plasma cutter.

It’s great after a long ruff day at work to see sparks fly!!

25 Likes

I didn’t even know we had something like that or that it even existed.

3 Likes

I too took the leather tooled Midori notebook class taught by Shelly - @so_creative. She’s good, guys. Really, really GOOD!

While most people in the class opted for either a black or brown dye finish or hand-coloring, I decided to see what the water-based turquoise dye would do.

Swabbing it on, it looked like it was just gonna make the book look moldy. But lo and behold, as it dried, it matched the sample swatch that Shelly found in the cabinet. It also upped the natural textures in the piece of leather.

I decided to live dangerously and see what putting an antique finish on it would do. While it’s still pretty, it muddied the turquoise color more than I would have liked. So next time, I won’t be doing that…

Thanks for an awesome class, Shelly!

18 Likes

Keychains!! Using the Silhouette in the new Creative Arts room :laughing:

16 Likes

Attempting offset turning. I’m informed this looks somewhat like a cam shaft by the automotive folks. Now to build a wooden car around it :joy:

17 Likes

Anyone familiar with this oddest knows how huge an accomplishment this is! I got this laser from someone who said it was broken and I knew nothing about robotics at the time, I just knew I wanted to learn. After a year of replacing pretty much every piece of hardware and getting nowhere the guys at RBNO allowed me to show up and taught me a little about GERBL…lo and behold it’s alive! I don’t know John Ws talk handle but I am so appreciative. Now I’m hooked on Arduino and microcontrollers. There will be tacos! Thank you RBNO for showing what makerspace is all about.

17 Likes

Maple and Walnut inlaid floor medallion (15" dia). Good use for the CNC - although I gave serious thought about turning this into a cutting board or lazy Susan.

21 Likes

In crafters terms - NOW is the time to get started on your ornaments. There will be a mad rush for the lasers in Nov/Dec. These are just a few in mesquite wood.

17 Likes

Mesquite scrapwood welcome sign for my office.

IMG_2351

16 Likes

cherry desk is complete!

even had enough scrap to make a side table in the same style:

Already got put to good use. Still need to finish both pieces though. Planning on using satin Arm-r-Seal

26 Likes