Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - January 2020

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

I tried turning some acrylic for the first time, it was quite a bit of fun compared to wood, but it polished up really nice.

It’s a thread ripper (non-Ryzen) for @BarkingChicken

26 Likes

Relief printed holiday cards, using an laser-engraved MDF block.
Also lasered an EVA foam stamp for the return address using same font, but I can’t show that because personal info. Rats, because it really completed the look and saved me so much time.

29 Likes

I don’t really like to share things, but Ben seemed to think I should share these. These are some name plates we worked on together. They’re for a friend of mine’s horses.

22 Likes

I very much like this thread ripper style since the sharp pointy ends slide into the base. You can easily store it in a sewing bag/box or your pocket without it stabbing something critical.

5 Likes

That’s a beautiful print! Great job!

2 Likes

I made one of these out of wood, but the acrylic one @malcolmputer made is better. Reason? The tolerance is tight enough that if/when the wood shifts you can’t pull the ripper out of the handle to turn it around. That doesn’t happen with acrylic.

1 Like

Good to know! He made another one that we neglected to get a good picture of before gifting it. I forget which wood he used.

I made the mistake of using olivewood, which was fairly green (OK, maybe it was wet and oily!) If it’s old, nicely dried wood it will be more stable.

Made this bolo tie with a combination of skills I learned from @AnneGullett and @JBluJkt.

It’s stamped silver with a bezel set rhodochrosite. Everything except the braided cord was done at DMS.

23 Likes

Beautiful work. I love rhodochrosite!

1 Like

I think there is still some slab left if you want to cut some @JBluJkt would know where it is and teach you how it’s done.

3 Likes

I forgot to post my home Raku kiln. It’s working great. Big Thanks to the guys in the Metal shop, April Burke, and John Gorman. ! Now I need to get more wheel time in ceramics to have things to fire.

29 Likes

Here is the dragon egg that I made during class. Pictures don’t do it justice, I was amazed at how cool it turned out. Was my first attempt.

23 Likes

Today I hosted an acrylic pouring class and my first alcohol ink class.

Both classes went really well, especially considering that I forgot to limit the class size and ended up with 24 (9 non-members) and 16 (8 non-members) students respectively. Several of the non-members found my classes through the KERA Art and Seek page. I also posted on the CA facebook page and my own social media, but neglected to post on the Meetups.com page (by the time I remembered I already had a glut of students, so I’ll hit that one next time). Many of the non-members were taken on a tour after the classes.

I have notes for myself for things to make the class better or make things easier on myself, but otherwise everyone seemed to have a good time, thanked me for teaching the class, and left with some awesome art. I’m going to send out a follow-up email for feedback tomorrow.

There are a lot of pictures, so rather than inundate this thread with them here is an imgur album:

23 Likes

Another cabinet for a fish tank. Stained but not yet applied poly.

16 Likes

I’d like to see this complete with the fish.

2 Likes

Fooling around on the lathe yesterday and made a few rings as well as the mandrels to shape and sand them - I’ll be making another set of mandrels with sizing guides and putting them in the drawer with the pen making supplies for use and may put a class on the calendar soon.

25 Likes

Love that seam ripper! Would you consider selling them?

Cindy

1 Like