Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - February 2020

The other should be donated to Anita Willis! Great job!

I rebuilt the pen press. I started by taking 5/16 threaded rod in the lathe & parting it off. Why not hacksaw it, well because I wanted to part it off in the lathe.

I then turned the aluminum portion & tapped it.
The arm for the lever needed to be slightly modified, I took .100 off total. I then drilled & tapped for the screw for the lever extension retention.

29 Likes

Back when I was more in harmony with the world, there was a company called New Dimension that (over)built cool stuff for VW fanatics. Among their more popular lines were wiring products called “Massive Overkill”. They did things like running 00 battery cable when the factory specified 12 gauge. One of the most popular parts of the lineup was a set of plug wires that solved a well-known problem on the 16vs by using 8 gauge ground wires, whereas any other kit on the market used none.
My point?
I always think of this company, their cool-as-hell product line, and how in awe I was of how overbuilt their stuff was whenever Tim posts about his projects. A simple thing like fixing an unfixable pen press in the hands of Tim Bene: Massive Overkill. In my head, this IS his middle name. Tim “Massive Overkill” Bene. Sometimes I borrow from Radiohead, and shorten it to Tim “OK[computer]” Bene. I don’t know if it’ll stick anywhere outside of my dome, but there it is. :+1:

7 Likes

Forged dinner bell and hanger with plasma-cut and powder coated cats.

The dinner bell triangle was an example piece I forged for an Into to Blacksmithing class last Fall.

The cats were plasma cut from steel I found in the scrap bin. I powder coated it (my first time to use the powder coating - won’t be my last). I forged the hanger and striker at my home forge this week.

The cat design was cribbed and modified from a Facebook ad.

Given as an early birthday gift to my wife and destined to hang on the porch.

20 Likes

@TBJK. I want to point out that I made the wooden block featured in the final picture! Lol

Amazing work Tim!

Check out the difference in the eggs when I polish them and buff them afterwards.

Used yorkshire grit then turtle wax with buffing wheels.

10 Likes

I have a friend that has a sign painted on the front of his shop that says “Nothing ever broke that was built too strong.”

Russell Ward

2 Likes

those are looking great Nathan!

What was supposed to be a basket like these copper ones by my friends in class turned into a jellyfish thanks to an offhand comment by our wonderful teacher, Sue. :heart_eyes:
I think he needs googly eyes.

14 Likes

‘Doing Well’

Acrylic & Sharpie on Drawing Paper

I had the random urge to paint the other day. I’m not normally a painter, ceramics is more my forte, but I wanted to share because I’m really proud of how it’s turned out :slight_smile:

-Madison

20 Likes

Awww that came out great!

2 Likes

I made another one that’s actually a little basket. :heart:

11 Likes

Almost out of February, but had a fun night
Made a great press vinyl shirt out of a freebie shelf t-shirt from tonight and some freebie vinyl from several months ago

Wire wrapped crystals with Linda :heart:

And modified the chainmaille weave after Rose pointed out a “mistake” she’d made that I liked the look of. :heart_eyes:

20 Likes

Wheee!!! :smiley: Tonight we had another fun & awesome night of chatting & chainmaille with Rose Smith (@Just_Me) & Jonathan Smith as we tackled the mighty Dragonback weave & conquered it into amazing reversible bracelets!

14 Likes

I love the shirt! It’s a perfect saying for me too :lion:

6 Likes

Very beautiful.

1 Like

Did some Dutch oven cooking today and used some black smithed items I’ve made. Specifically: camp fire hanger, coffee pot tipper, and a small ash shovel for my dutch oven table.

Here’s some of the Dutch ovens around the camp fire. We made three pans of cornbread, two peach cobblers, and two dump cakes.

These were all to accompany the chili made by some friends. We do a horseback riding Chili Ride every winter. The chili is made in their big cauldron. This batch started with 15 pounds of ground beef and fed about 40 people.

14 Likes

Turned my new found basket weaving into a spider web for a necklace (thanks for the idea, sue!)

10 Likes