Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - February 2020

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

I made a curing box for my resin prints.

I used FlexBox3 from https://festi.info/boxes.py/ with a cutout for the uv lamp on top.

The inside holds a rotating platform for even curing.

The inside walls are covered in aluminum for maximum reflectiveness.

27 Likes

Class Review - Alcohol Ink Workshop 2/1/2020. Excellent class presented by Shay @BarkingChicken. She said this was only her second Alcohol Inks class. Well you could not tell, she was very well prepared and had everything ready at the start of class. No small task since she had 15 people registered. BTW, at least half were non-members and many took the tour afterward.

Had fun even with my lack of artistic ability.

Thank you Shay!

21 Likes

I made sawdust. Good memories. And supplies for future works of art.

11 Likes

I’m glad you had fun! I really enjoy teaching this class, so I’m going to keep putting it up on the calendar about once a month until people get sick of it and stop signing up.

2 Likes

a few of Anette’s pieces from yesterday’s raku class.

16 Likes

These look really good! I especially like the one on the left, but both are pretty.

I agree - it was a really fun class. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Finally getting around to uploading pictures from the Alcohol Inks class (2/1/2020). DMS has my permission to use these for social media if that is desired.

13 Likes

Photos from our bowl class tonight! Thanks Amy, Marcy, and Patrick!

23 Likes

Just a little line work.

IMG_2621

16 Likes

Bowl on lathe using 2 extreme of wood types. 2x4 construction lumber and walnut

26 Likes

Nice looking bowls. I enjoyed taking that class.

Acrylic pour painting – in wet and dry stages. Very happy with how it turned out!

Thanks to @BarkingChicken for teaching such a great class.

28 Likes

that turned out great

2 Likes

Ahhhh! I love seeing yours dry now. Definitely digging it!

1 Like

hello. It’s been a while since I’ve done any work on the HAAS. This is an embossing stamp in solid brass. The test subject was a biohazard sign. The back has been cut to accept both handles from the evil empire. The extra weight/bulk of the brass should make for a good impression. And becuase it is brass it can be heated with a torch to use as a branding iron.
The point of this exercise was to zero in on the speeds/feeds that will work best so I can make them faster (see the softjaws for making 3 at a time). Spacing is difficult at this scale. I’m hoping to get good enough to do some medallion work. Raised lettering is especially difficult. Most of this was done with a 1/16" end mill. I tried a 1mm but sadly it did not survive.
The toolpathing was created in Aspire but since this is all 2D work could easily have been done in VCarve. The vectric products are damn inefficient. The code for the biohazard was way to large for the HAAS so I had to stream it.

Cheers!

IMG_2623 IMG_2626

16 Likes

Looks nice! When you say two extremes of wood … I assume you mean vastly different hardnesses? Did you have troubles with that?

Looks great! I made a DIY Wash Station from a Magnetic Stirrer but haven’t yet made a UV Cure Station. How is yours working out? What UV lamp did you go with? Looks to be one from Amazon?

Wash Station:
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/dallas-makerspace-show-tell-september-2019/61868/112

1 Like

I use this one, and it’s working great.

3D Printer UV Resin Curing Light for SLA/DLP 3D Printer Solidify Photosensitive Resin 405nm UV Resin with 6W Output Affect, DIY Curing Enclosue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YGN2QGL/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_FEFpEb3W82PZ6