Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - September 2017

Adding to Josh’s request, this would make a nice intermediate Laser class: demonstrate/teach all the steps needed to it. probably have a good turn-out. People that have seen it are impressed.

4 Likes

@nicksilva was kind enough to help me work through running my post-domino project on the Haas – a keychain bottle opener/pry bar. We ran into some issues so I wasn’t able to complete all operations I planned on. I definitely learned a lot of valuable lessons, so I think my next project will run much smoother.

12 Likes

Yarn bowl created during class with Shirley and Christy. Thanks for the great class,I look forward to making another!

24 Likes

Do you really use “yarn” in the bowl? Or is that just what a curly cue bowl is called? Or is it specific bowl to hold yarn? Or…?

It really is for yarn. While knitting or crocheting, it keeps the ball of yarn from rolling around the floor and having cats chase it :grinning: The little holes on the side are for needles or hooks.

4 Likes

Ok that makes sense. It’s not only beautiful, but functional too!! My 2 favorite things.

1 Like

Ryan here

I created this sculpted eagle for an event to stand in front of a podium.

20 Likes

Learned how to use the Silhouette Cameo tonight in Lisa’s class. I cut a chicken silhouette out of heat vinyl and heat pressed it onto the bag. My chickens are going to love it. I plan to make themed bags for the family for Christmas and pit their gifts in them.

19 Likes

Thanks for joining us! It was fun, and your bag turned out great!! :smiley:

4 Likes

Not sure if this counts for Aug or Sept, but here is my final result from Ethan Western’s Hip Pouch leather working class

18 Likes

That looks so great!!!

Small but Mighty! This is the transmitter I made in Walter’s Michigan Mighty Might Transmitter build class.

It works, too!

21 Likes

I hate I did not get to see the finished project.
This is amazing, Great Job!

1 Like

Now that is pretty. Seriously.

1 Like

An oddly productive week at DMS for me. From Astrud’s Block Printing - Relief Printing class where we carved a relief image into an eraser and block printed with the eraser.

My twitter feed is currently exploding with Cassini probe related posts. It was all I could think to carve on such short notice.

12 Likes

Another big thumbs up for Astrud’s Block Printing class. I was skeptical that I could carve anything recognizable (if you are super worried about this like me, bring an image/reference with you and 50% of the nervous twitchiness is abated!) but Astrud is an amazing and supportive instructor. I had a blast in this class and would recommend it to anyone. Don’t get too worried about your artistic ability; there are so many options!

17 Likes

very nice,well done!

I’m close to being able to produce the monitor stand design I initially turned out in June:

Layout changed a bit from the original optimized version that caused vCarve such angst and I didn’t care to get my goofy “signature” to work, but I think this is both sufficient to get fully qualified and produce something useful at the same time.

As I am finding to be the case with all things CNC, the workflow between design file and production file is more time-consuming than it seems like it should be. I resisted the temptation to force-feed vCarve a version of the drawing that’s essentially cutting vectors and used the design file, which adds flexibility should I, say, opt to change it to a 3/8" bit vs the 1/2" bit it’s designed around now.

9 Likes

Two pictures of the tree of rings cast in the Intro. to Lost Wax Casting class.

21 Likes

Nathan Sanders completed his 2nd project on the HAAS mill. it is a model of a bible in aluminum as shown here. While this is only the front view, the sides/top/bottom have simulated pages showing as you’d expect to see. All in all, it had 6 different setups to make this work. Great job.

11 Likes