Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - September 2016

You had me going there. Until I got to the end, I thought we were doing biohazard experiments at the space. Nice twist at the end, and nice work on the box!

1 Like

The federal pacific label would make me worry about fire hazard as well. XD

While circuit breakers are not rated for use as switches, many facilities do it inappropriately, and only occasionally get failed breakers as a result.

Some of the federal pacific double pole breakers have caught fire, with the investigation conceding that it is not due to a design flaw in the breakers, but rather abuse by being used as switches, though I have to ask how many double pole breakers get used as switches, and how many residential breakers get used as switches?

This is the completely finished jewelry box. Made by me.

I made and canned (jar’d?) some cinnamon crabapple jam. First time to do canning. All of them sealed and the jam is delicious.

8 Likes

I love making jam…it’s the family feeling you get from all of it. Now if only the temps would drop so I won’t be sweating in the kitchen as I do.

We should do a jam exchange closer to the holidays…just an idea.

2 Likes

This is an embossing plate for some leather belt buckles I make. I took the original and created the silicon mold and cast the plate. It’s only 1/4" thick and held up well to being pressed in my 1 ton arbor press. Thanks to Max and CA for the class at the start of the month. This was my first attempt and I’m happy with it. Next on the list is to try the aluminum infused resin which should make it stronger. cheers!

6 Likes

I designed and printed rev 3 of my replacement GE microwave turntable drive. The embossing was too tiny to be legible, but “eh”.

6 Likes

@nicksilva, shouldn’t you be making wallets with that?

“I want you to go in that bag and find my wallet.”

3 Likes

yep. slightly larger plate. on the list to do.

Jam session? Terrible pun.

Very nice Nick. I tease my wife by adding a few more words to it for myself.

@Adam_Oas was giving out surplus vinyl DMS logos that he had cut for Open House. I ended up with 3, so I decided to sticker all the vehicles in my fleet:

The 3

The Ranger

The F150 … which some might argue is redundant due to @Nick 's earlier work:

9 Likes

Replicated a maglev experiment I saw on YouTube.

This is a rare earth magnet suspended by a larger rare earth magnet to counter the force of gravity.

Two plates of bismuth stabilize the floating magnet due to bismith’ diamagnetic properties which repel a magnet field.

Here’s a video of the contraption in action.

8 Likes

Had to go for Rev 4, as the shaft was a wee bit tight.

1 Like

It should be known that I didn’t cut out all the logos, but I’ve done a number of runs since then :slight_smile:
I’m pretty sure @Haley_Moore did a lot of the work.

1 Like

Finally got the right settings to passably engrave this Rowmark 2-ply plastic on the Zing.

-the purring dork

10 Likes

Looks great! And the Zing settings are … ?

4 Likes

It was Mark and Bales on vinyl duty that day

1 Like

Some custom 8bit inspired embroidery designs I’ve been trying out…

10 Likes

Cross posting for trebuchet build so far

5 Likes