Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - September 2016

I’ve always thought that needlepoint was the precursor to 8-bit graphics. :slight_smile:

Example:

1 Like

Well weaving did lead to many concepts used in early computers. Punch cards for example.

Swapped out the exhaust manifold and did a quick brake service on my S2000 this weekend. I do think that I have some slightly burnt exhaust valves and will probably be pulling the head at the least over the winter.

4 Likes

Nah, computers predate everything, we are just bits in a simulation somewhere…

Be sure to carefully inspect the keepers on that valve train. They are very well known for cracking if the engine has every been over-revved. When that happens they are a ticking time bomb for breaking and dropping valves into the engine. Be sure to replace any that show signs of stress.

That’s for the AP1 (2000-03) motors. They redesigned them for the AP2 (2004-09) and are much more durable. Mine is an 04.

1 Like

I Made a TOP today ~ w00t!

Thanks Matt (@mkart)! :smile:

7 Likes

WARNING! Improper welding techniques!
That said, you can weld to cast iron so long as you don’t care what it looks like :smile: Made this fire pit out of an old 18 wheeler brake drum and some angle iron. Found another wheel part in the scrap bin to fill the hole in the bottom of the drum.

edit forgot to mention, weighs in at about 117lbs

8 Likes

Most ways to weld cast iron are about ballencing filler metal selection, preheat, and method against luck. Stick welding with nickel rod is often effective. One that is often surprisingly good for how accessable it can be is stainless steel laid down by MIG.

4 Likes

Good for the job it will serve. @kbraby is correct: preheat the cast iron, weld, and quickly put it back in the oven to help prevent cracking (you’ll hear “ping!” otherwise). Turn off the oven and let it coast down slowly.

A tip on your weld: keep a tighter arc and use a cursive “e” pattern with the gun. That should help eliminate the porosity in those photos. You’re shooting for “bacon frying” sounds, not “Tommy gun” popping. Above all, keep welding! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Closing out the thread as it is now October. Looking forward to what everyone will make in October.

2 Likes