Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - September 2016

My first 1/72 scale model, to fit the 10x10 show format. I’d really like to thank DMS teachers: @talkers for teaching the laser class and Bailey Fath for teaching an Inkscape class on creating an .svg from an online image. Am looking forward to taking an airbrush class from @Rio so I can decide whether or not to upgrade from canned propellent.

Before:
After:

11 Likes

Both rocking chairs and both end tables were finished up (and removed logistics :wink:) this week.

The closest one was made entirely of scrap wood found at the Dallas Makerspace.

Special thanks to @mblatz for helping me get them to their new home.

16 Likes

They turned out really nice! Great work

1 Like

Tiny chairs made by, Tom Cook. Thought it was cool. Just thought I’d share.

8 Likes

Great idea to use a laser to mark where to paint. Definitely will be applying that to future projects!

Those plane models are so far my favorite 10x10 :slight_smile:

This is a CNC joint I designed. It’s going to be part of a series of segments of the base for a delta 3D printer I’ve been working on.

6 Likes

Tiny chairs…makes me wonder what can be 3D printed to upgrade model aircraft…(that’s Makerspace for you, one idea ricochets off another maker into a different direction.)

2 Likes

Pearce Dunlap’s post apocalyptic chandelier. Looks awesome.

7 Likes

Thanos’ infinity gauntlet. By Nick Glover

8 Likes

Aluminum “pinewood” derby car with steel ballast, turns out it’s much easier to go for the brushed look (220 grit) than trying to polish aluminum.

Started with:

13 Likes

I have brushed many an aluminum extrusion for lighting projects. Hides the dings and scratches well in addition to the inevitable dust.

Brandon already won the outlaw class, everyone can go home now.

1 Like

Wanted to make a piece of wall art for a friend’s nursery. Sketched up with a design and got to work…

My handsome helper cut and sanded the boards for me

Glued up the boards for the back and laser cut the pieces for the details

Stained, painted, and all finished and ready to hang :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Pair of honey dippers in Maple.

14 Likes

Cut out some items on the CNC plasma yesterday & today during the demonstration. The hearts were cut out using the BMP image from a quick online search. The lion was in the computer in DXF, I didn’t draw that someone else did. The squares are what I drew in Inventor, then exported to DXF. Those are about 2 11/16" square with .125" fillet corners. The center was cut to accept the end of a pneumatic cylinder ends. Theses will go on the top of the extrusions for the legs on the work bench in Hatchers.

12 Likes

DAMN!
Those look GREAT!
Gotta make it up there to see the beast belch, finally!
(and hopefully MAKE it spit some fire this time)

1 Like

impromptu glass bead making class with, Tom Cook.

5 Likes

My apocalyptic jewelry box. Features aircraft grade aluminum.

6 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like