Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - October 2017

Hope you are both doing better. Been there and done it.

3 Likes

Had my loving spouse drive me into work today, thanks all for their concerns and prayers. Chris I hope you are recovering well as well.

4 Likes

Once more, with feeling. Finally finished this to my satisfaction. American elm burl with cherry and ebony top.

19 Likes

You have been turning some beautiful pieces. What do you do with them when then are finished?

2 Likes

Really like this one! Beautiful

3 Likes

I’m just a beginner so I wouldn’t attempt to sell anything until I get better at it. So far they are slated for family gifts so that the flaws can be easily forgiven :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Flaws which only you will see. These are beautiful.

6 Likes

Thank you! That’s very kind of you to say so :smile:

Gunning for an Emmy for Outstanding Production Design here… :stuck_out_tongue: but if not, at least I’ll have something cool for Family Game Night :wink: This was for Retropalooza last weekend and their Family Feud segment.

Family Feud Retropalooza ring in (The real deal, of course :wink: )

Family Feud Combs ring in (For reference)

7 Likes

I have limited space in our Colorado cabin, and I use my cast iron skillets a lot. They always seem to be left on the stovetop, cluttering things up, so I forged a rack to hang them on the wall and get them out of the way.

18 Likes

Love that forged rack. And bonus points for the aebleskiver skillet :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I make them every few weeks. Yummy.

For those who don’t know, ableskiver are Danish spherical pancakes which are kind of a cross between pancakes and popovers in texture. I like mine with homemade blueberry preserves.

12 Likes

No, I believe you are incorrect, they are a wussian invention - Checkov. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So @Azalaket asked me to take over a project to build an embedded controller for the dust collection system(s) in the wood shop. The idea is that in addition to the flashing light that folks can ignore, a loud siren will go off when the controller is full and the system will send emails to people Andrew selects to notify them.

A member may then temporarily turn off the siren with the understanding is that they are expected to empty the bin if they do so. An email will go to the same people letting them know who has turned off the siren.

Rather then try to create our own sensor for this system, I decided to modify the existing Oneida-air Dust Sentry system

I reverse engineered the sensor and added an opto coupler circuit (embedded in epoxy) to allow for the embedded system to connect to the sensor with either 5V or 3.3V logic. The full project is being documented on our wiki. So if at any point in the future additional features are required, anyone can perform the upgrades.

24 Likes

That table has what I think of a mid century modern look

One of two. Pauduk wood and Birdseye maple with an ebony top.

15 Likes

That’s exactly what I was going for. Thanks!

1 Like

I supported an Indigogo campaign for a Monoprice Delta Mini 3D printer. Great machine (after tweaking) at a very low price (<$200, including mods). The cardboard shipping box was damaged in transit, and I added some taller legs to increase airflow underneath (the 1.0 machines tend to overheat, esp. when printing with ABS.

Long story short (too late!), I built a taller, wooden box for carrying my printer. It is:

• reusing the styrofoam packing from the original box
  • tall enough for the new legs plus a spool of filament on top of the box
  • much more robust than the torn cardboard box.

14 Likes

Old DMS truck is getting a facelift. We only have 30minutes a week to work on updating the truck. Expect more of a facelift by next homecoming. We started off strong - but aren’t quite sealing the deal if you ask me. Still it’s much more fun.

8 Likes

What do you mean by DMS truck? Cool Bob cutout

1 Like