Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - October 2017

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
3 Likes

Making Soap,
Making Orange Essential Oil
Making Batteries

10 Likes

These are kick panels (under dash) reworked with the help of Fusion 360, 3D printing and the laser cutter. Big shout out to Kee Fedak who helped me on the 3D stuff.

14 Likes

Holey Shcnikeys! That’s freakin’ AWESOME!

1 Like

plant hormone experiment going well

9 Likes

After taking the soap making class in August I made this soap in September and it is now cured and ready for use in October. The whitish soap is with eucalyptus and smells nice. The baby angels are Castile soap made with 100% olive oil that is not soapy and good for kids, even babies, and adults. Made those for my wife who will have a stand at Carrollton’s Festival at the Switchyard.

15 Likes

awesome! great work!

Built a coffee table from some red oak flooring that was about to be thrown away.

21 Likes

SOO been wanting to do something similar. Care to share technique? (did you glue the planks together? is there a substrate underneath? etc.) Either way, looks good!

1 Like

Yep, I ripped off the tongue and groove on the table saw then planned the underside to remove the shallow grooves. Then I glued the boards together. There’s no substrate, just a set of stretchers that run between each leg and cross in the middle.

4 Likes

This is the cart before the horse… Robin and I bought some property and I finally figured out a use for the piece of 12 x 16 x 1/4" plate steel my neighbor gave me and cut a sign out on the PlasmaCAM.

Since it was my first piece to cut after the class I was looking for a mentor and talked with a couple of folks, but last night I was up here after the Sherline lathe class and someone was using the machine so I asked and found a quick mentor.

The file was done in MS Publisher but the DXF file it created from a 15.5 x 11.5" document ended up as over 28,000 inches on the PlasmaCAM. @dallasmagna was a HUGE help in resizing the file and I must apologize for forgetting the name of the person who helped me last night. The machine caught on some blow back slag on the first cut and I had to eyeball realign the piece for the cut over the top of the J then start it again, but with the Z axis up a bit. Then I forgot the cut to the left of the R and had to come up tonight and eyeball it again left to right and front to back multiple times before cutting and got the last hole done.

I still need to clean up some slag and paint it, but that’ll be later. :slight_smile:

19 Likes

I filmed and edited this video about the NEIWG (Neural Electric Interface Working Group) work on low-cost robotic prosthetic arms/hands. I’m Elizeth (no “a” or “b” in my first name) “Zee” Labega. When I was taking the Thursday night tour before I joined the DMS, I saw a prosthetic arm on a table in the Science area, was drawn to it, and immediately asked what it was, if it moved, and whether I could film it and the people working on it. Then I waited and emailed and messaged until the folks you see in it were available for filming. I love how the engineers got input from cosplayers.

13 Likes

That’s great, Zee, very well done and professional!

Thanks very much! :blush:

My ode to Flash Gordon. White oak, ebony, cedar and bois de arc. With quartz crystals

15 Likes

I love everyone’s work and wish I could come out, but I am recovering as some of yall know from facebook from my gall bladder removal emergency surgery.

No fun. I had mine out last week. I feel for you. Hope you recover quickly.

1 Like

I hope they were still able to do it laproscopically and not have to Frankenstein ya. :open_mouth:

Heal up fast!

2 Likes

Someone asked me for Indiana things so I had fun with it.
I highly recommend taking one of Sue Rogers’ classes - her rosary class helped me make the earrings.

13 Likes