Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - November 2016

These might just be the greatest coasters ever!

1 Like

Power steering on the Ranger had become decidedly noisier than Ford’s traditional plaintive level. Sucked out the fluid with Automotive 's handy vacuum device, refilled, did several dozen figure 8s in the nearby stadium parking lot, sucked out the resulting slurry, refilled again, and now it’s again merely plaintive at the extremes of travel.

7 Likes

I’ve used a turkey baster in the past for the same thing.

2 Likes

Fluid was also a tad low before I started.

Turkey baster would have significant trouble reaching into the crevices of the reservoir without some tubing at the end … but it is a far simpler method.

2 Likes

Why don’t we have any Turkey Basters at the Space? It appears to be a very useful non-culinary tool?

Potential for abuse preparing food.

5 Likes

For our 5th anniversary, made my wife a US map on the Thunder Laser with an old sound board cover from an upright piano I disassembled. Sanded the original seal off, sanded the etch clean after, and treated it with mineral oil to protect it

13 Likes

Wow…that astonishing. Much respect…

After the CNC Plasma class tonight, I fixed the broken guide for the horizontal bandsaw.

Designed & cut the stuff out last Thursday just had to be cleaned up,welded & assembled.

17 Likes

NICE! All previous discussion I’d seen on repairing it centered around welding the casting back together.

That’s awesome! Well done!

1 Like

We can rebuild him, better, stronger, faster!

Made an Xmas gift for my daughter. She sometimes forgets charging or data cables for the many devices she uses, so I made her an all-in-one box of connectors and a cable.

There are connectors for USB-C, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Apple iPod/iPad, and a 6" Micro USB cable, plus a 64G flash drive. In the lid is a SD card adapter with 64G microSD card. Underneath there is a SD/MicroSD card reader with USB and Apple Lightning connectors.

The box is a classic Altoids with a matte black powder coat finish. The cover is laser engraved with the logo for the A&M School of Veterinary Medicine, where she goes to school.

19 Likes

Awesome gift for an awesome girl! :slight_smile:

This is sexy. A 1984 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham edition sporting the whitewalls and the Kragar rims. Owned by, Michael Dunham.

2 Likes

Reminds me of my younger days. I had a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I bought it from a good friend of mine then dropped in a SBC 350 with TH350. I ported the heads, with mid rise Holley manifold Edelbroch Carb. Wild ass cam. It had open headers, mid length if I remember correctly. I modified the shifter with the Z gate shifter & modified valve body. The interior I put aluminum diamond plate under my Auto Meter Phantom speedo & gauges. I cut the rear dash then added taillights under it with mirrors to throw it through the back window. I’m rather lucky I didn’t die in that car. Rolling around doing burnouts on 4/100$ tires & hauling ass.

2 Likes

Liberated a piece of cedar from the community pile in the woodshop and turned this bowl from it. Simple bowl with a tung oil finish. Had some nice figure in the little piece of cedar I turned it from. Thanks to @mkart for the bowl turning lessons in his bowl class.

11 Likes

That is a beautiful bowl!!! Nice job!

Thanks. I took the week off for Thanksgiving so I had a chance to make a a few things. Below is a Christmas ornament I made from a piece of spalted maple, originally from the maple tree someone brought into DMS, along with some walnut and a little Arizona Desert Ironwood I bought off of eBay

I also made a couple of pens. The larger pen is made of Katalox, which I got at Wood World. The slimline is made from a piece of cocobolo I bought at Rocker. I had no idea it had the character it does until I cut into it. Both pens are finished with EEE Ultra Shine which does a nice job. I usually sand them to 400 grit. My wife said she wanted to feel the wood and she doesn’t like the mirror glass finish seen sometimes with CA finishes.

10 Likes

Wow! That’s a very nice gift. That’s something you could turn into an off-the-shelf product! What was your total Bill Of Material (BOM) for the project (minus labor)?

1 Like