Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - November 2016

Are curse words on our projects okay to post here?

In the past, members have blurred/obscured the words when they are especially bad, since this is a public forum with no age limits.

Yes Patrick curse words are fine. This is a public forum and those words are often heard / seen in public. We do not claim to be a ā€œchildrenā€™s safe spaceā€ to the best of my knowledge.

Wanted a headphone stand, worked up in QCAD and cut on the LaserSaur, I plan to recut out of something nicer like a sheet of poplar.

DXF here if anyone else wants one:

https://stor.karlockhart.com/s/RcrIL5ddbvdXAkP

Bolt holes are 7mm so they will accomodate 0.25" bolts

11 Likes

Nice work Karl,
Those look pro! I just bought an aluminum under desk headphone hook and it doesnā€™t look near as nice as yours do. :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Those are awesome Karl, I like the design. They will look great in poplar,etc.!

1 Like

Thanks! I really want to cut it out on the PlasmaCam in Aluminum as well, I was inspired by a friend at workā€™s stand. This is about the 3rd iteration for me on this. I think I need to order some wider spacers for the bottom for better stability.

1 Like

Soon enough @Karl_Lockhart you will be able to do aluminum. We tried last week with some with not much success. I was going to do that yesterday afternoon but had to work late.

For stability, do you think you could cut out a cross piece that could slot in to existing piece? Thus, creating a T - like base.

Aluminum would be nice too. Iā€™d be interested to help out when you get to that point. Iā€™m planning on using the plasmacam for multiple designs as well around a ground up cafe racer Iā€™m designing. Aluminum plasmacamed and machined will be part of the plan.

Iā€™ll have to try that, with the one inch spacer and 2 1/4" nuts it is pretty stable. But more stable is ALWAYS better.

1 Like

Very nice workmanship!

Nice welds. Must be $10 in dimes there.

Spent Sunday will Lee going through the Metal Shops toys, MIG, TIG, PLASMA. Iā€™m in the process of knocking some welding out so I came in today and built a 3rd Arm. Itā€™s 2 railroad spikes, a railroad driving pin end and round stock from the scrap bin. Cleaned them up on the grinder and belt sander and MIG weld up.

5 Likes

Our new larger 3 ton gantry is now operational (pull up on caster wheel locks to unlock them)

It doesnā€™t have winches yet to raise/lower so its fairly difficult to adjust, but I canā€™t think of a reason anyone would need to adjust it (it cant fit through interior doors, too heavy to try and roll down ramp)

Yes it does clear the sprinklers

2 Likes

We need to replace that all-thread pin with a hardened pin.

3 Likes

Those threads are going to be crushed (and the holes possibly deformed) the first time something heavy is lifted.

Edit: I take that back. Looks like a more appropriate replacement has been fashioned.

1 Like

I didnā€™t see that at first. I saw it (all thread)Tuesday night then last night. Glad to see it looks like it has been replaced.

Iā€™m judging by the photo as best I can on my phone and noticed the absence of that tackwelded crossbar; not sure if itā€™s a truly appropriate replacement or not since I havenā€™t been there most of the week.

Just a temporary very thick pipe in there now, an actual replacement hitch pin is in the mail and will be here in a couple days.

2 Likes

I made coasters. I blurred it.

9 Likes