Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - May 2017

I would love to see more people post things of this positive creative vein. However a lot of them do not feel comfortable posting here which is unfortunate.

1 Like

Absolutely ~ Same here! The Show and Tell threads and blog posts are all about showing off all of the various creative, resourceful, durable, and technically awesome things that Makers Make at Dallas Makerspace! :heart_eyes:

[quote="Kriskat30, post:81, topic:20900"] However a lot of them do not feel comfortable posting here which is unfortunate. [/quote]

Thatā€™s a bummer for themā€¦ :confused:

The Show and Tell threads have some of the most interesting and awesome posts on TALK, and tend to get a LOT of positive reactions! :smile:

If they have a change of heart and want to brag on themselves by posting things theyā€™ve made at the 'Space, we would love to showcase them in the monthly Show and Tell blogs along with all the rest of us who do enjoy sharing our creations! :smiley:

Was talking with him tonight while he was riveting the copper sheets. This is beautiful. If you are at the Space, go take a look up close, the treatments he did the various copper pieces are fantastic ā€¦ Steampunkers will drool.

2 Likes

Where is it right now? I love to see different treatments on copper

It is pretty neat! Does he have a name to include on the blog post, or should the posts about his project be moved to a thread under the #interest-groups:projects category? Thx! :slight_smile:

Austin; Im afraid I dont know his last nameā€¦

1 Like

I love this so much.

From the Leather Field Notes Cover Project class.

We used 3/4oz brown leather with a waxy finish. All pieces were saddle stitched using 1mm waxed linen thread.

15 Likes

he let me grommet one with his automatic grommet thing gun to see what it was like. Itā€™s delicious. Heā€™s working on a little table for a jager-machine now (for a bar)

Austin Michael Haylock

2 Likes

Itā€™s not a Delicious. Itā€™s a different brand with a decent reputation though. Here is a link to the exact gun.

Campbell Hausfeld Pop Rivet Gun (CL153900AV) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3T0XLU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_1DI8Me2QuySDc

Iā€™ve done about 1,100 rivets on the mirror and the gun was WELL worth the $60 investment.

I will be heading back up to DMS this evening to finish the wiring and start on the epoxy coating. I hope to be all done by Thursday night for a Friday morning delivery.

8 Likes

Thanks to all for the kind words.

I will try to check back periodically to answer any questions.

2 Likes

Made a desk and sidetable:
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/18443496_1334605133255915_3910481995460771840_n.jpg
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/16908145_463975603951994_8293494407336820736_n.jpg

10 Likes

I meant like it was fantastic. I didnā€™t even know it was a brand.
haha

2 Likes

its your quirky one liners - thats the confusion.

:wink: Haha. I know. That was my attempt to quirk on your level.

Maybe I should save my humor until you guys actually get to know meā€¦lol

5 Likes

A little experiment from last weekā€¦

Some people on various Facebook Sublimation groups had been buying Ozark Trail powder coated, double insulated stainless steel mugs and ā€œkooziesā€ with variable degrees of success.

I tried a mug first, but it didnā€™t work at all with our mug press because it didnā€™t fit. So I tried with a ā€œkoozieā€ insteadā€¦

Here is how it looks (unless you get really close to it):

The "soft" (_muted_) effect was expected. Pretty much all the ones I've seen online have been like that...

I can say that 400Ā° F is probably too hotā€¦ I could hear it sizzle when I first put it in the press ~ LOL! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, the paper stuck to it (which others had reported online, as wellā€¦). I had to wash the paper and residue off; and, it left a bit of a mark where the paper was. Like I hinted at above, itā€™s not super apparent ~ unless you are specifically looking for it and/or looking really close.

Going through all the different posts online, there does not seem to be a consensus on the best temperature or time.

I would not recommend using the regular mugs/ā€œkooziesā€ from local stores. Instead, I would suggest that you consider purchasing ones specifically made for sublimation from reputable companies that sell sublimation blanks. They cost about the same either way, and work much better from what Iā€™ve seen online. :wink: :slight_smile:

All that saidā€¦ It did keep my can of pop cold until I finished drinking it a few hours later, so the experiment was not a total fail. I would just recommend using actual sublimation blanks for better results. :slight_smile:

Edit to fix the rotation of the photos... Odd because they were in the correct orientation to begin with on my phone... :confused:
8 Likes

Thanks to @Webdevel for the Leather Field Notes class. Awesome. Great teacher.

17 Likes

Youā€™re awesome - keep it coming.

2 Likes

More experimenting thanks to some Facebook Sublimation groups ~ LOL! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

These are 11" reversable sequin ā€œmermaidā€ pillows from the Five Below store.

The first one I used a pillow that was silver on one side of the sequins and gold on the other side of the sequins.

I sublimated a :poop: emoji on the silver side (400Ā° F for 60 seconds)ā€¦

ā€¦then I sublimated a :smiley: on the gold side (400Ā° F for 60 seconds).

Hereā€™s the combined effect:

Next, I used a pillow with silver and black sequins. I decided to try a silhouette of Elvis thinking it would be pretty neat! I pressed It at 400Ā° F for 60 seconds.
It turned outā€¦ ā€œOKā€. (I think they might be too hot and/or pressed too long).

Here are a couple of pix of it:

Finally, I used a silver and pink sequined pillow and sublimated a really colorful rose onto it. This time I pressed it at 380Ā° F for 50 seconds. It's more faded than I was hoping for, but it still has a kewl effect... so yeah..... ;) :smile:

Here are a couple of pix of it:

Why did I choose the settings that I used? Almost everyone who was successful used 400Ā° F for 60 seconds. A few others used 380Ā° F to 385Ā° F for 50 to 55 seconds.

Most reported using light to medium pressure. Mine ranged from heavy (on the first one because thatā€™s the only way I could clamp it) to medium / medium-heavy on the others (while holding the clamshell lid down as evenly as I couldā€¦).

17 Likes