Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - May 2017

Here’s results from the most recent weaving class. I just took the warp off the loom and this represents work from all the students. It was a shared warp they each took turns weaving on. A few shots of a specific color were used to divide between their piece and the next. That’s my cut line when I divided it for pickup later. The white slats in some places are spacers for those folks that wanted fringe. I think it’s neat seeing all the variations of the colors and patterns folks chose to weave with. Each person’s resulting fabric is enough for a mat or bag.

14 Likes

That’s awesome! Jake wants a poop smiley, I may have to grab you for some help lol

1 Like

My sister drove us to the airport in NYC that turned into a 7 hour traffic marathon. I made her a 2ft x 1ft cutting board from Walnut, Maple, Padauk as thanks. Sorry I missed the woodshop cleanup day, the shop looks great.

13 Likes

This is my home shop. It hasnt seen a cleanup day in a bit.

Please do a class on this. Please…with cherries on top?

4 Likes

Oh that’s such a good idea! I may need to get some help on how to make one of those looms now

2 Likes

Well this was nice. Vectric - the makers of Vcarve and Aspire included my plate in their
monthly newsletter and twitter. Here is the Tweet

4 Likes

Did this one during the tours. Got a few excited potential members and hopefully garnered some interest in the machine shop. Brass embossing plate of the Boy Scout emblem. cheers!

14 Likes

Dye sub’d some socks. I will be attending a week-long summer miniature camp (International Guild of Miniature Artisans) and one of the sillier events is a sock contest. This is an interpretation of the event’s artwork, but reformatted to fit onto socks. I figure the concept has to be worth at least an honorable mention …

Many thanks to @CaryF300 and Donetta for tips/help, plus loaning me their sock pressing template.

17 Likes

Kewlness! Here’s a screenshot for our blog… :wink: :smile:

2 Likes

I’ll go over how I did it in future Dye Sub classes. I’ll make a post when I get some scheduled.

Bonus pic ~ my grandson absolutely loves "the poop pillow"! Hehe ;) :smile:

9 Likes

I attended the ADVANCED SCREEN PRINTING – Color separations class that Astrud and Paul (@Hardsuit) held last night. It was one of the best and most information classes I’ve taken at the 'Space! Astrud covered techniques and theory on many aspects of poster and fine art printing far beyond just a basic screen printing class.

In addition to going over color theory, etc… We were also shown how to do a four color print using only one screen.

This shirt was the inspiration behind the design we used:

Here are the four different "layers" hand drawn by Astrud used to make the screen we used in class:

This is the screen we used. You can see it had been previously used for a different design and had been reclaimed for use in our class. The haze left behind from the previous image had no effect on our work.

First layer (_pre-printed prior to class to allow them to dry in time for class_):

Second layer:

Third layer:

A few of the fourth layer prints to compare subtle differences in shades of the paint depending on the color of the paper they were printed on...

Fourth layer completed on all the prints done by the students last night! :smile:

I will definitely attend more upcoming classes taught by Astrud & Paul!! :smile:
20 Likes

@AZalaket gave me the artwork for the Woodshop “logo”, and I programmed it for embroidery using SewArt64.

This is 3.5" wide, approx. 20,000 stitches, and takes about an hour to stitch. I stitched on my machine at home, which took 55 minutes. I suspect that my home machine is faster than the Babylock we have at The Space so it will likely take longer at The Space.

I chose to stitch it with these colors as my test but of course you could stitch it with any colors you wanted. chose to stitch it with these colors as my test but of course you could stitch it with any colors you wanted. Sulky makes a variegated embroidery thread in shades of grey that I think would look cool as the blade!

The embroidery program is in the committee folders on the Jump drive, in the Woodworking folder. If you choose to stitch it, make sure you read the stitching instructions on the Color Chart page.

19 Likes

This is my latest embossing plate in brass. It is 2D this time. Kinda a line drawing / chip carved style. I used a tiny 20 degree engraving bit to v-carve this out. Credit where credit is due - the original was done by Patrick Seymore who does a lot of this type of work. Cool stuff. Check him out HERE. there are a few others on his site I want to pay tribute to (that’s the nicest way to say COPY). cheers!

12 Likes

After @nicksilva posted the leather skull ring I tried my hand at it today then went leather ring crazy. Hand tooled leather with decorative rivets.

13 Likes

they look great! Now all you need to do is make one with a miniature spinner.
They are doing spinners on fingernails now. what have we come to?

5 Likes

Over time, I’ve realized my bathroom is just too far from my bed for my convenience (about 12ft as the crow flies), so I made myself a chamber pot:

<!>
<!>
Local downed Cottonwood, BLO finish. I think I am going to remove the foot…wouldn’t want it to accidentally tip over :non-potable_water:
<!>
<!>
Next project…a Spitoon. :spittake: For when the outdoors just isn’t close enough.

11 Likes

So funny @mblatz! Lol.

Beautiful work, regardless of what you call it.

3 Likes

This is the top for an archtop guitar I am building. It isn’t done yet, but I wanted to share progress because this is going to be a slow process.

13 Likes

This is the best show and tell I’ve seen in a while. Keep up the great work y’all! This is why I love DMS. Seeing the great works or art, the great talent at the space and the amazing work everyone is doing is inspirational! Amazing. You are all awesome makers.

7 Likes