Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - May 2017

I’ve been working in leather lately and here is a couple of pieces I’ve been working on.

1. Leather pauldron and bracers from the new Aquaman Justice League movie.
    2 my version of a Captain America helmet with a Nordic twist.
22 Likes

So my amazing little brother-in-law, who I’m going to shamelessly plug in this show and tell, is a slam poet who is on tour now with a feature in Dallas tonight!

He asked if we could make him something with his art/tour graphics as an easy piece of merchandise to take to his shows, so we made buttons :slight_smile:

Love how easy the button making machines are! Hardest part is just getting the image lined up right so it isn’t off center :smile:

12 Likes

Brand recognition can be a good thing. Or not! Like when you’re wearing a camera strap with 2" School-Bus-Yellow letters that scream, “I’m an expensive camera, model such-and-such. Steal Me!”

I made a new camera strap, weaving the “tape” on one of the lovely inkle looms made by @Wandrson. This is my first attempt at full-sized weaving (made one tiny tape on a miniature loom, made for me by Walter). The colors are brilliant and quite identifiable, but at least it doesn’t scream NIKON. (The colors that look like yellow are actually electric green).

I added a “lining” that has three lengths of steel cable (jewelry beading wire) stitched inside it to make it slightly less slash-able.

For those that want to weave, here is a website (Carolingian Realm) with a free pattern generator that generates the weaving plans for any “plain weave” patterns.

Mucho thanks to @kyrithia for her suggestions on my warping.

Warping in process. This took me much longer than anticipated.

Weaving in process. I think the weaving process, not including the warping, took about 7 (?) hours to make a tape about 3 feet long. I am very slow and meticulous, especially since I’m still learning.

22 Likes

No photos, but I was presented with an automotive dilemma. $1400 estimate to replace a broken window motor vs $83 for a turnkey motor and regulator assembly. The additional 2 hours light labor to do the swap itself hardly altered the equation, although had I the time to wait for parts via the mail I could have purchased the parts for half that.

I lied. Photographic evidence exists:

After the annoyance of removing the internal panel connectors (held in place with something rivaling the nuclear strong force), the door internal corner light clip, the vapor barrier (itself weaker than the puffy adhesive holding it in place), separating the glass from the regulator (itself badly situated), and aligning the glass back with the channels, we have the simple task of installing the new motor/regulator assembly. 90+minutes to tear down, ~30 to get everything back together.

12 Likes

Chris showed this to me after she made it. I thought it was beautiful and the texture/feel was nice.

Of course all she did point out what she saw as flaws - to hear her you’d think it was a ratty old thing only fit to wrapped around a stick and clean toilets with (well, maybe she wasn’t quite that harsh). It looked fantastic to me and I need new glasses or a microscope to see the flaws she said were there.

I think she is prone to exaggeration when critiquing her own work. Which as always is craftsman like.

6 Likes

This is my latest embossing plate for leather. I decided to do both the positive and the negative although only the negative is needed. I wanted to see if the positive could be used to give a deeper embossing. However, trying to squeeze it between the plates tears thru the leather so I’ll just use the positive as a showpiece since I never get to cut the positives of my models. cut on the HAAS in brass.

16 Likes

Gorgeous, Nick!! I love this.

2 Likes

Thank you

Pat O’Brian just finished this. I had to post it. Amazing work.

18 Likes

Very nice! Can you get Pat to chime in and let us know more about the process and which DMS tools were used to make it? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He’s shy. But it’s elk horn handle and a Damascus tang

2 Likes

I attended the Screen Printing Basics - Printing On Paper class that Astrud and Paul (@Hardsuit) held. Instead of focusing on t-shirts like is often the case at the 'Space, the class covered techniques oriented towards poster and fine art printing. Of course the techniques will work on t-shirts as well. :wink:

It was really neat to learn how to screen print using other media (in this case paper); and, to learn how to screen print using common household items (including printing on a table without a commercial silk screen station! :smiley: )

Here is a pic of my completed piece:
Here is my completed piece in-between two others... There were three color choices for the paper, plus each piece had other variations from thickness of layers of paint, to adjustments in placement of the layers, to some variations in colors... While they may look similar, they were all different enough that they were easy for us to tell apart.
I really got a lot out of this class, and have already signed up for the Advanced class later this week!! :D

Edit to upload my image again without the EXIF data so it would post right-side up... ;)
16 Likes

If this maker isn’t already on Talk please encourage them to join. I’d love to know more about this.

5 Likes

This is so cool, and I really like the message. I’m not that interested in doing this for shirts, but I will be watching for the next printing on paper class.

2 Likes

There is one currently on the calendar.
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2525

If you can somehow manage to get the prerequisite in time, there are also a couple dates that have a more advanced paper screen printing class posted:
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2523
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2524

2 Likes

Thanks! I just registered for the class on the 7th! I will keep an eye out to see if I can get the prerequs for the other classes before then.

1 Like

Tell him I said hello, and that it’s beautiful.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: @Darcy_Neal being awesome!

Another shy poster i wanted share. This massive copper clad frame will house a mirror with architectural lights recessed behind the frame

12 Likes

That’s neat :slight_smile:

Which DMS tools did they use? Do they want this to be included on the Show and Tell blog post?

Please let our “shy members” know that the following information really helps! :dms: :plasmacam_smiley:

1 Like