Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - May 2017

How did your cat learn to not nibble on AC cords?

No idea, but it avoids them judiciously. I suspect it has something to do with their thickness and lack of pliability relative to USB cords as opposed to nearly (un)naturally selecting itself out of existence.

3 Likes

Drew this up in Fusion 360 earlier in the week at home. Exported & cut it on the Plasmacam. Welded it together. I haven’t mounted to the wall yet for the tungsten bench grinder. I was able to check the fit in Fusion and found 1 error.

You can see where the consumables really started messing up in the pic above.

11 Likes

Used my newfound knowledge from @talkers’ Midnight Makers vinyl cutting class to make some bling for my wife’s laptop lid.

19 Likes

Hey! That looks great @HankCowdog

Had fun last night, and this morning, making characters with @artnerdray for the next Stop Motion Goof.

16 Likes

this is a companion piece to the firefighter I put up last month with the resulting embossing. 3" piece of brass for a wallet back plate.

12 Likes

My son made a big Mothers Day Card-board on the Thunder.

20 Likes

Here is the rest of the Mother’s Day roses and pop up cards I worked on while waiting in the laser queue. :wink: One card previously posted.

12 Likes

Hi all,
so i made this friday may 12th, but i’ve been working on the design and test cuts out of cardboard and scrap for a week or so.

My three year old nephew was having his birthday party on saturday and it was dinosaur themed. We have a no more toy present agreement with my brother-in-law for his kids and our kids. But i felt this didn’t really violate that agreement as it was “handmade”, using a laser. Anyway I feel it came out fantastic.

i cut it on the thunder laser, its made from 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood. Top Layer i think was a birch veneer and bottom layer was a maple veneer. I used 1/4-20 nylon Screws and Acorn Nuts as the finger pulls.

I cut out recesses in the maple bottom piece for the screw heads to sit. total time on laser was about 18 minutes.

I then used Titebond 3 and some clamps and weights to glue the two pieces together, had to use some superglue when i got home as one piece in the middle didn’t get clamped properly.

I delivered it to him on saturday and the little kid loved it, and everyone else at the party was thoroughly impressed.

14 Likes

Mothers Day Gift. Made from 1/4" birch plywood that was cut on the Thunder laser. Wood was color washed with diluted (with water) acrylic paint and then finished with epoxy resin.

14 Likes

Wow @richwhite! I was impressed with just the wooden design. Looks fabulous.

This is a Settlers of Catan board I carved using the Multicam CNC Router. This is the project that led to the massive gouges currently in the spoilboard. Oops – sorry.

I dye stained the pieces, then put a few coats of polyurethane on them.

The board is for my brother, a Catan aficionado.

22 Likes

Not quite a make but the compressor repair.
Pulled the head & cleaned the surfaces very well. Reassembled the heads. Drained the tanks. Changed the oil & air filter. After I assembled it on the first compressor, we ran it & the pressure relief was leaking. I replaced the leaking relief today. Also we re-ran the auto-drain.

24 Likes

@TBJK This dude keeps an incredible amount of our equipment up and running. Nonsense Tim, you ARE Making - you’re MAKING things work enabling others to Make.

You are the Man! (At least one of the key folks that keeps stuff working!)

Many many thanks!

15 Likes

While @pjgamber was working on his dinosaur puzzle friday night, he graciously helped me out in the woodshop. I had a 14" piece of alder I needed to get planed.

This will be a five string fretless bass guitar for a friend.

Saturday at home, I was able to get the piece routed and glued the maple top on…

22 Likes

I love this so much!

@allen082 very cool and it was no problem at all

finished cutting board i worked on for the last week. First one i made, used walnut(graciously given to me my a member “Terry”) and a large piece of Ash. Finished in Mineral Oil.

Approx size is 18"x12"x1"

15 Likes

I had to do this last fall for my 2000 Toyota Camry!