Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - December 2016

Makerspace Ingenuity,

I’ve been trying to find a spot to hang a dartboard in my house for years, but every usable wall is either a window or window adjacent. @USprofessional and I came up with a funny solution to mount the board in my pantry.

6 Likes

Cool solution. But…my dart skill would result in many punctures to the liquid containers just below the dar board.:fearful:

4 Likes

Yeah,
If I wasn’t as good at darts this wouldn’t be a viable solution. I sent a picture to my mom and here reaction was nearly as good.

yeah baby! Love seeing metal art

1 Like

We are getting ready to sell the forklift, the key was being flaky so I hotwired it for now to move it around, replacement key cylinder will be in in a couple days since amazingly Amazon prime had exact replacement

4 Likes

Last week I noticed oil slung around under my truck. The seal on the driver side output shaft of the front differential had started to leak. I replaced it with a new one. The maker part of this is the seal press made on the laser cutter versus the roughly $100 seal press from GM. It worked great, except I smashed the shit out of my thumb twice holding it. Next time I’ll add a handle.

The surface was beat up pretty bad but the cheap plywood did the trick. If you find yourself needing to press a bearing or seal in give this a shot!

10 Likes

Nice ingenuity … using wood that gives and won’t damage the new seal! … good job …

Why sell a running forklift?

• We have little use for it, so it takes up space doing nothing 99.99% of the time
  • The operator cage travels up and down with the forks, so its maximum effective lift is perhaps five feet while our ceilings are more than 12 feet

If we need a forklift in the warehouse, there are far better options. And the new 3-ton gantry does most of what we need a forklift for.

4 Likes

I learned to make a bracelet out of a piece of copper pipe.

13 Likes

Cut this out today. Took it to the sandblaster. It turned out exactly as I wanted.

7 Likes

How big is that? I have one i am cutting out that is the American flag.

Not very big maybe 6-8" I’m actually going to cut out an American flag as well with "Thank You Veterans "

2 Likes

So we completed the first class on making a metal and knurled pen. this is representative of what was done. Also here’s @AlexRhodes who won the assembled pen in a vigorous death match of Rock/Paper/Scissors.
Cheers!

13 Likes

Knurling is so cool…

2 Likes

But was it a fair RPS? Was Alex using real scissors? Lol

1 Like

Tim showed it to me. It is awesome - the slightly rough cut edge makes it even more fearsome.

If it’s not rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock, I don;t think it should count.

2 Likes

Yah Alex double scissorsed me on our second try and cut the paper…winning the pen. Way to Go Alex and Thanks Nick. Great Class, very well taught and I know I can build a pen now. I recommend anybody that can get a class with Nick, to sign up. You’ll be glad you did.

4 Likes

Second stage of wall art. Got the metal buffed out and welded the threaded rod and square tubing the back utilizing the 3rd arm I built too. Next, I’ll paint the sign and mount to a oak board.

8 Likes