Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - July 2016

Bleeding the brakes today with the amazing tool I didn’t know existed a year ago, replacing busted up skid plates, plus assembling and arranging new shelves for the automotive area (with a stink eye glare from @ESmith). Thanks @Brandon_Green for keeping the area top notch. He also fixed the toolbox with the broken drawer too but I didn’t get photos of it, hopefully he posts some!

3 Likes

@ESmith probably had two thoughts going through his head:

1. Am I ruining this shot?
  2. I really need to shave
2 Likes

Good Riddance. First time working with concrete…also my last. The welds on the frame I never trusted either.

It took a lot of time with an angle grinder to dismantle the frame. The rotary hammer did jack squat to the welds. About the only failure with the frame was the warping that apparently occurred when it was put together.

1 Like

Finally, finally, finally finished these. The owls go out to a few of my Indiegogo supporters, the other two are custom pieces. I have made the owls plenty of times before but man alive they were a pain in the ass this time around. The sapphire necklace I had to remake the setting on because when checking fit I got the stone stuck - first time in 16 years that has happened?? The horseshoe necklace was the only thing that came together without (too much) trouble.

In summary I am REALLY HAPPY to be done with everything in this picture. Onward and upward.

9 Likes

How much would you charge for the owl necklaces? I’ve got a niece and co-worker that would love them.

Owls are bad ass.

o.o

I charge $64 for copper/sterling & $68 for all sterling. I will warn you in advance that my time is very limited right now so custom orders are super slow coming out (I am still 4 pieces behind). Happy to take on orders as long as people are understanding of that :slight_smile:

Thank you!

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about a tray to organize the screwdriver bits for months. Saw some appropriate material on the laser shelf and got to work laying it out.

I ended up cutting two of these. The first iteration had some design issues that I partially remedied but ultimately decided I didn’t want. The second turned out imperfect - but better and serviceable for the intended task.

The Lasersaur G-Code generator seems like it could be better optimized for time efficiency…

Version 2 cutting nearly complete: ~$4 in laser time on the Lasersaur with the new tube.

Squeezeout is good … right?

Deployed in the workshop tool chest. I sincerely hope not to be re-sorting the bits on a weekly basis.

18 Likes

Ah, the fabled tray of Sisyphus.

4 Likes

I had to “Google” that one, and I’m glad I did. Good stuff.

1 Like

Uuuum…
If you’ve never used the phrase “sisyphusian” to describe the work of DMS’ volunteers…

3 Likes

My favorite sisyphus implementation http://www.taomc.com/sisyphus

2 Likes

Still in progress, inkle weaving. I’m not sure what it’s going to grow up to be yet. Leaning towards piecing it into a bag.

9 Likes

My daughter is taking archery at college so at her request I made her a quiver for her arrows.

Veg-tan leather with upholstery leather lining.

11 Likes

Russel’s Custom Sight Offsets

Wanted to talk about something cool that happened in Hatcher’s this month.

Russel (@Gimli) made some awesome 1/2 inch sight offsets for his 308 competition Enfield Rifle. I highlighted the custom parts with the pink brackets, because you wouldn’t notice them if I hadn’t. I had the chance to try these out last Saturday at Target Masters in Garland, at their 50 yard indoor rifle range. Was able to a shoot 5 shot grouping with 4 of the 5 shots in the same hole. Then I managed to repeat that 2 more times! They are spot on and the one shot off group in all three cases was 100% my fault not the sights or the gun.

Funny thing though, now Russel and I can shoot the gun really well. But, you put anyone with a normal sized head on it and they can’t figure out whats wrong with the sights. :smile: We tried to wow one of the guys at the range and he just couldn’t figure out what was wrong even with us telling him about the offsets.

Awesome work Russel and this serves as an example of something that you can do at DMS for little more than your monthly membership dues, that would cost hundreds of dollars to do outside of DMS. I know this from experience as I’m trying to get an offset made for my 22lr rifle from a machine shop and they are hitting me with $500 minimum charges.

2 Likes

Custom order, finished on Sunday. Chrysocolla & onyx beads, sterling silver.

8 Likes

sadly i can not post pics of my recent…project? the subject in question did not want their photo taken.

they are donating their hair to locks of love (i prefer pantene but that’s just me) so we sectioned off the hair and gave it the most makerspaciest haircut ever from rubberbands and a tin to put the hair in- found in the galley

i cant say who it is- but trust me you will know who when you see them next.

6 Likes

Coffee / Wheel table is done minus the glass top which I need to order, the wheel was slightly bent so I replaced it, could have gotten it repaired and sold it, but this seemed more interesting.

Turn down a Camaro axle on the lathe, just to get a machined look

Hand cut base with plasma

Lots of boring to mate up the center hub I made out of solid steel round stock with the plate

After hand polishing the base

14 Likes

Needed to make an architectural model for an alcove for my church. First time ever doing something like this :grin:
Pre existing sketch up model to svg file via VCarve, edit in Inkscape, cut out of 1/8" MDF on Lasersaur, glue up with high heat glue gun (a favorite tool). Boss is adding the finishing touches.

5 Likes