Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - July 2016

If I die tomorrow in a motorcycle wreck there’s a 99% chance it’s because I changed tires myself (again) but I’m getting better at it after 7 years. It’s the little things in life. Also zombie looking 3D printed arms for figurines and my employer (http://tpnretail.com/) donated some awesome carts that were practically brand new. Please share what you’re up to at DMS! These show and tell threads are one of my favorite things about DMS.

14 Likes

YesSSSSSSSSSSSSS on this thing, sooo needed at DMS.

3 Likes

I was hesitant to post this due to it’s religious nature, but I had multiple people ask me to post this with the settings I used for the laser. I laminated mahogany veneer on 1/4" birch plywood. I got the veneer from wood world. I used the thunder laser set to raster with 9% power and 400 mm/s speed. I also set the interval setting to .06mm. It turned out better than I thought it would. I want to the Declaration of Independence like this too, but I chose to start with this document. It was 14" x 19". This size of document with these settings took 1 hour and 12 minutes on the laser, and cost $15 of laser time.

18 Likes

Regardless of the message and personal beliefs, I think almost everyone would agree it came out very nice.

16 Likes

Yep we’ve had a few people post religious works on here, me being one of them. Its the workmanship people appreciate, the nature of it would be a thread of its own.

Very nice indeed.

3 Likes

Looks great, very fine details!

Make one of the US Constitution and claim separation of church and state. :wink:

5 Likes

Infecting young minds with science!

13 Likes

My results from the Turned box class last night:

Here’s a “Troll Bridge” I made for a terrain competition in May:

Here’s the Dwarven Hold I made in early June:

9 Likes

Seven rings for the dwarven lords, in their halls of stone…

2 Likes

Several questionable types messing with a Marx Generator in the eLab.

6 Likes

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/13599577_10154216289732348_1624970838_n.jpg?oh=28027217ea4f1c5a0b4f44461a44a1c7&oe=577B8E46

14 hours and many cussing later, it is just needing tuning pegs and string (not a clue where to get) its a Ukulele, found on thingiverse. ALL PRINTED HERE AT THE SPACE. (the gray guitar was built at polyprinter)

many curse words were said while installation - but in the end i am quite pleased-

i made the star thingie in the middle via tinkercad.

7 Likes

http://www.stewmac.com/SiteSearch/?search=ukulele

1 Like

Post a video once it’s ready! I’d love to hear that thing!

I’ve been wanting to do a Constantine lighter for some time now but could never quite get the artwork right. I finally settled on this one. This was engraved on my CNC using the diamond drag bit and was not done at DMS since they don’t allow metal yet on the CNC router. So it’s just presented here as something that we may all be able to do someday. This same pattern can be laser engraved using Cermark on the metal. I’m doing it on a wood lighter cover next.
Cheers!

10 Likes

Agreed, very nice piece!

Sincerely,
Tim Nielsen

Building a clock, here are some early pics:

Sincerely,
Tim Nielsen

6 Likes

this is a followup to an earlier post. This is laser engraved on one of my wooden lighter cases (front and back and two sides). The case could be milled on the CNC router but you need a holding jig to hold it upright. then it can go over to the laser for engraving,.

5 Likes

Got this done in June for the Let’s Play Gaming Expo, but finally polished off the Instructable just now! Here’s the instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Gigantic-Faithful-and-Functional-NES-Controller-Ta/

And here’s the thing:

With faithfully contoured buttons, and to 100x scale!

Thanks to @childofthehorn, Patrick Thompson, @rablack97, and @HankCowdog for y’all’s assistance. Would have taken me way longer without you and with a much less impressive result.

11 Likes

Pi powered air monitor (temp, humidity, dust concentration), more details here

Live data over past 24 hours:

5 Likes

Oh and Hey, guess what just made the Front Page of Instructables!!!

11 Likes