Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - January 2016

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on at DMS here!

It can be anything from a small 3d print to a large woodshop project. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it, post it here and share the interesting things you are doing.


I had an old mower I haven’t used in a couple years, so I decided to take it apart, step 2 will be seeing if I can put it back together, getting the valve springs back in will be tricky without a proper spring compressor.


It has been a long time since I put a valve spring back in one of those. I think I used grease to hold the keeper wedges on the stem, then used a pair of stubby needle nose pliers and a small block as a lever and fulcrum inside the valve chest to compress the spring and and endcap, and button hole it over the keepers.


could probably duplicate that bad boy from the scrap bin…

I just finished up a set of tea bowls, and am working on some majolica plates and bowls.


I’ve made 5-6 of these Arabic Calligraphy Bookshelves enabled by the Multicam CNC Router for friends and family. Iqra means “Read” in Arabic. We hope to inspire the pursuit of knowledge and understanding.The Iqra Bookshelf is four layers of birch plywood suspended with bolts creating a light and airy structure to store books.


I just finished building my own 3d printer and enclosure for it. Printer parts were printed using the polyprinters, extrusions were cut in the machine shop, and the lasersaur was used to cut the 1/4" MDF and acrylic for the enclosure.


Nice wilson II!

I’ll probably finish out the wilson I am building and keep it as a backup when I build a wilson 2.

No pictures at this time but… used the 3D printer to make a positive for a candy mold. Stunning idea, instead of printing the objects that you want to make a mold of then building a retaining wall around the object (PITA in most cases) to contain your mold material, just design the retaining wall into the 3D print. Saves a lot of time (though not in the 3D printing process) in the future but also eliminates a lot of clean-up effort.


This is a piece of folk art exactly like the one that hung on my grandparents wall and made by my uncle in the 1930’s. It was a Christmas gift for my daughter. The rail on the original was 14 g. copper wire but mine is 3D printer filament.


Just completed this desk last week using the MultiCam. It’s a modified version of the Opendesk Unit Table. First project on the MultiCam and it turned out well.


I recently finished this tiny trunk. I made the copper pieces at DMS - laser cut a “stencil” from sandpaper, then put the sandpaper and a sheet of copper through the rolling mill to texture the copper.

Penny shows scale.



Another recent project/experiment was using the lasersaur to make a pcb. I spray painted copper clad and then used the laser to cut away the paint where I wanted the acid to etch. This was a quick process and allows for some fairly small features.


That trunk is amazing.


Caitlin’s Pedestal

18 mm Baltic birch plywood cut using the Multicam assembled like a puzzle. There is a short leaf for when we have guests in the back seat.


couple of projects on done on CNC

Virtual slot machine.


Worked on replacing the CV axle on a VW cabriolet, having a metal shop to put together a custom puller comes in handy. The goal being replacing the seal to hopefully stop a transmission fluid leak.


I think this thread should be pinned. I like seeing everyone’s projects.

My current project is applying for a full time job in addition to PolyPrinter.

I’m having a meetup to get the mendel90 going, and 3D printer and 3D scanner classes more regularly.

Oh I guess I could show this off too:

“In September, Cerroni and four other members of MakerSpace Dallas met for a class on biohacking. Cerroni, who teaches classes and serves as co-chair of 3-D printing at the nonprofit workshop and laboratory, has been intrigued by the opportunity to bring his tech inside his body. He doesn’t normally rush into things and getting an implant was no exception. Months of research, plotting, evaluation and investigation preceded his choice.”


I love this thread so much!

1 Like

I’m working on restoring a 1974 Bally Flip-Flop. It’s difficult to take photos showing progression since all of the work so far has been mechanical rehab: disassembling internal components, cleaning mechanisms, lubricating, adjusting, function-testing.

Detail on a score reel prior to rehab. Reels themselves are dirty and the mechanisms don’t actuate.

The disassembly process commences. Clean each score reel (and hope that you don’t wash off too much lettering). Burnish and adjust the switch for the 9-position. Clean the axles/pivots. Polish PCB contacts. Apply a dash of lube to each axle and pivot. Test the mechanism. Tweak spring tension as needed (typically pull 2-4 loops out to ensure reliability). Repeat 15x more for the rest of the score reels.

Now that you’ve gotten all the score reels clicking along properly, work on all the other components! Steppers need a rebuild just as extensive as the score reels (mercifully, no real need to clean the numbers). Relays need tuning. Broken wires need to be noted. Resistance on coils must be measured (some have likely burned up over time). Maybe you want to plan on replacing all those light sockets. You might also want to track down a font for re-lettering the score reels.