Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - December 2017

So…
An engineering question, because those with whom I have had this conversation, said otherwise to me.
In the gate, why did you only put the cross braces halfway across?

Looks good, overall!
PS really like those screws!

3 Likes

With two braced 2x6 rails, you aren’t going to get any sag in the rails. If you went full length diagonal, the shear load at the accute angle will be higher than as built for a given load. If you went steeper, the other end of the brace will now be the sharper angle and have a higher shear load. The 45 degree angle balances the shear load at both ends of the brace, and makes it easier to lay out for the win.

ETA: if this was framed with the common 2x3 fencing lumber as the rails, I would go full diagonal, so you are making two triangles around the brace, and you still won’t be as stiff as this is with the 2x6.

4 Likes

This is the principal reason. I have a 45 degree miter box.

Within a few years’ time I might have sag to deal with - will deploy the traditional long tension element (i.e. cable with turnbuckle from lower left to upper right, crossing the rigid braces).

3 Likes

Another pretty. I’ll have these at my table here at the vendor fare on dec 10th. Cherry spire with walnut lid and crystal. Pecan base.

17 Likes

Just accept the fact as things age they sag.

8 Likes

I’ve been working on re-tooling our Staubli RX-160 for milling. The robot was purchased used and we have been working with ROS and some other libraries to be able to communicate with it over TCP/IP. I bought a Chinese 1.5kw spindle for it and a special tool-changer for it. I had the mounting plates for the spindle laser cut out of 3mm thick steel and I put the mounting holes in the wrong place so I used the HAAS VF2 CNC to mill out an adapter plate for it. This is hopefully the last step in the process of getting this robot operating as a 6 axis mill.

23 Likes

I made some Field Notes-style notebook covers to give away for a hiking and horse riding trail preservation non-profit I support. Laser cut and etched distressed leather using a modified pattern from @Webdevel. Hand stitched.

23 Likes

It’s not as I wanted, or planned it to be, but it did survive and it’s a keeper. Its the chance we take putting our art in others hands. Should be brick red clay, teal glaze. #kilnoverfire

18 Likes

What was unexpected about it?

Finished this black walnut console table. Custom piece for a neighbor.

25 Likes

18 Likes

Very nice work! I would love to receive or make one of those!

So cool to see this finished! It is beautiful.

My bowl from the awesome ceramics class today.

17 Likes

Bijal’s work on the laser. Wonderful idea for Christmas.

12 Likes

nice job!!!

Thanks!! Lots of luck and a great teacher. I am praying that it doesn’t crack after all that work. :slight_smile:

Dry it very slowly. I sometimes wait 3 weeks to fire. usually i wait 1 week in plastic, one week in paper, 1 week in open air. but right now at Christmas everything is ugh… hurry up and dry!

3 Likes

I haven’t been a member quite long enough to have any work made up there fired, but I unloaded a kiln of cups (and a few jars) at school today. I’m also a chandler, so about half of these will have [candles] and half of those are gifts.

16 Likes

Nice work toussaintpeg! I look forward to seeing your future work at DMS

3 Likes