What could we do with an industrial robotic arm?

I was watching Simone Giertz video with the Kuka robotic arm (https://youtu.be/8TlAe4z7D6I) and wondering what we could do at the makerspace with an industrial robot arm. I’d like to see one to learn about programming robotics and maybe how makers can use industrial equipment to enhance our crafts.

Here’s a used surplus Kuka arm that has a 150kg payload, but I bet if we inquired Kuka we could get a more reasonable one like Simone Giertz has.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Kuka-KR150-Robot-w-KRC1-Controller-Pendant-Complete-ABB-Fanuc-Motoman-Nachi/172362790473?hash=item28219f7649:g:VywAAMXQlgtS856s

Have you chatted with @jstaud about his adventures?

2 Likes

We have a Kuka KR210 at my office in Arlington that we use for R&D but we’ve always wanted to do more cool stuff with it. Speaking from experience I would be careful with surplus robots as the controllers can be too old to be useful but sometimes they work out too. If you would like to come by and check out our robots DM me and I’ll send you the address. We have a Staubli, Kuka, and a UR5. They are super cool but also super dangerous if you’re not careful. We use safety cages for the big ones and the UR5 Is a collaborative robot so it’s human safe. You might look at talking to the Universal Robots office in Carrollton to see if they want to partner with the DMS.

1 Like

2 Likes

This topic brings to mind a recent music video that used a bunch of robotic arms to play music.

Nigel Stanford - Automatica

Some behind the scenes with the robots:

3 Likes

We have some UR robots at work and i’ve been to several training classes at the Irving office. I mentioned bringing one out to the makerspace for a demo one day and it seems like they’d probably be willing to spend a few hours with a UR3 or something. I don’t know that a $25k robot with 5lbs of payload and 20inch of reach would be a good fit for the space, but I think a few classes getting some hands on time would be q good start.

1 Like

Make a violin , what else?

5 Likes

Advanced Cnc machining. :grinning:

2 Likes

I misread Ian’s suggestion as Advanced Crocheting.

1 Like

Oh wait - I know - Nick Silva can get one programmed to move all those annoying stools that turn up in the machine shop area unexpectedly…

2 Likes

or hey - we could program it to remove the tape off the hatchers door - plausible deniability - @Nick & @thatguy & @Gimli - what do you think?

Make & play the violin?

1 Like

Give it eyes, put it on wheels, and let it put the stools away in Machine Shop. :slight_smile:

2 Likes