Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - December 2016

My first pen on the metal lathe. I decided to use low carbon steel for a truly rustic look. It should age over time.

This was a PKFP4010 Gun Metal Vertex Click Pen kit that i picked up at Rockler in Frisco I used an 11/32 drill for the body but it was just a hair too large. I managed to wedge some metal shavings between the body and the end caps for a perfectly tight press fit.

12 Likes

My friend is having a baby, so I made him this small rattle. It’s filled with rice, and the ends are both > 1.75" to prevent a choke hazard. The finish is just shellac which is safe if the baby chews on it. I also made it out of cherry wood, which supposedly less people are allergic to. I’m happy with how it turned out! One of my first lathe projects. It’s not perfect, but I learned a lot!

Here is a short video to show how it sounds when you shake it:

12 Likes

Overwatch Genji patch all finished:

8 Likes

Update…

• Successive toolpaths that use the same tool are merged into one cnc file
  • Text file is generated that includes instructions and a summary
  • Success message is displayed with a brief summary
5 Likes

I made a tray to hold the 1000’s (ok, about 40) Lego Dimension characters that my son has collected over the last year or so.

10 Likes

Cool with me copying your source file?

1 Like

The ignomious CHECK ENGINE light on my car (Mazda 3) engaged on a road trip last weekend. I suspected that this was due to a lost gas cap (lanyard on the original broke off some time ago) which I confirmed.

Read a few codes at an auto zone on the way back and they said 3 codes relating to the evaporative emissions system - recommended a new fuel pump. Yeah, right. Bought a new gas cap and returned home without incident.

Said light did not extinguish after 300 miles of highway driving, so I used the DMS code scanner to delete codes. Conveniently, this extinguished the bleeping light. I’ll run it again in a few days to see if there are any lingering alarms, but I suspect it threw those for lack of a means to tell.me the gas cap was missing.

2 Likes

A bluetooth code scanner and phone app are well worth buying your own.
Especially when your car is throwing codes in the month you need to get it inspected! If you’re needing to get your car inspected, what you do is reset your CEL and use the app to monitor your sensors. As soon as they’re all showing “ready” (look on your state inspection report to see which ones are necessary) you high-tail it to the nearest inspection facility. Then you can fix whatever is throwing the code as your time and budget permits.

Or at least that’s what I’ve heard.

I just finished a doghouse I’ve been working on for my girlfriends dog Lola! It’s made of HDPE plastic. I’ve been super excited about this project. It’s more to be used when the weather is nicer. It was supposed to be done in the fall, but the HDPE was on back order for 2 months. It probably won’t get used until the spring. The idea is it gives her a nicer area to live while my girlfriend is away at work. Otherwise she has to stay in a crate. :frowning: It’s completely collapsible and snaps together with snap joints I designed for the Multicam.

The snap joint:

“Smell holes” at my girlfriend’s request :slight_smile:

Slots along the bottom to stake it into the ground to prevent wind from catching it.

Straps for stakes made from nylon webbing.

Super fun project! I’m happy with the results, and am glad it’s finished :slight_smile: Hope Lola likes it!

8 Likes

Looks great - and what a thoughtful thing to make!

Beware the autozone generic gas cap. Had a check engine light that wouldn’t go away for a while. Turns out the generic cap wouldn’t seal for some reason. $20 on Amazon bought a Toyota branded replacement for my Camry and fixed the error

1 Like

Well oh well. What a busy day. So the Brake & shear showed up today. It was not supposed to show up until Tuesday. With the help of @Photomancer, @Brandon_Green, @jlcourtman we got them moved into place & assembled. They still need work so DO NOT USE THEM YET!!!

Here they are setup-ish. Used it to do some working on the setup.

11 Likes

Curious, are these to let odors in or out? :blush: . It is nicely done and I’m sure the an animal is more comfortable having a view and fresh air.

2 Likes

Here’s the blog post that @jast posted for December 2016: https://dallasmakerspace.org/2017/01/december-2016-member-show-and-tell

Thanks Andrew! :dms: :smiley: