Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - December 2016

I know everybody has seen, but this thread gets special exposure, and I am proud of my cool old Mazda…For those unfamiliar, I rebuilt the engine on this using a new Mazda short block that came in a Ford box. Miraculously, I got it running once again (I program for $, never used an impact wrench when I started this one). I give credit to some non-stop determination (I needed a car) mixed with a little Dallas Makerspace Automotive Committee know-how…

6 Likes

Hello. I use my 50 watt laser or my Cnc router

2 Likes

I hope to learn how to do that :slight_smile:

Gifts for my parents, siblings and future in-laws - Cherry frames, half lap joints with walnut dowels, museum quality glass to protect the priceless pieces of art within. Finished with 3 coats BLO and paste wax

9 Likes

Gifts for my niece and nephews. Cherry boxes, rabbet joints for box frame and dados for top/bottom panels, walnut dowels, tops made of cherry, walnut, purpleheart. Interior uses light sensor music player I found on Amazon (search for invitebyvoice). Finished with 3x BLO and paste wax. Made three of them, programmable by the kids later if they want, with a bunch of dollar/euro coins in each because kids aren’t going to think a music box is cool, but I’m still going to be a troll-uncle and make the cash a little difficult to spend :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Can now see the various area cameras on one page at dallas.ms/cam

8 Likes

This was actually my Multicam test piece. I chose it partly because they’re my home team, and partly because @Kentamanos and his “Liverpool” example lol. Turned out so nice on the CNC (much kudos to Chris Ghaly, awesome tester teacher) that I decided to clean and finish it up.

14 Likes

Rotated the tires on my car … while wearing a button-down shirt and khakis without making a mess of myself. Using the lift and an impact driver (not to torque the lugs back on, natch) helped immensely.

6 Likes

@SewingStuff discovered the failure of this angle grinder was just in the microswitch, some metal dust or something got in and created enough heat to melt it, after replacing that part it should work just fine.

3 Likes

I love that members are fixing broken tools in true makerstyle. It’s not really yours until you take it apart and lose a couple screws.

6 Likes

Is that what I keep doing wrong? Putting all the screws back in?

5 Likes

Girlfriends christmas present shamelessly stolen from one posted to Reddit several months ago - a Potter-inspired memory box. Each bottle and the wand has magnets concealed with purple sealing wax (her favorite color). The original had a bowl you’d dump them into, but I didn’t think that fit well since the pensieve is where you looked at the memory, not where you pulled it out of/stored it.

Each bottle has a ‘memory’ printed on it with a photo or icon, and lots of bottles with blank memories waiting to be written. Example - went on our first vacation together to Mexico, discovered a drink called a Miami Vice and drank them all week.

Wand doubles as a pen. The S medallion was laser cut, and filled with purple glow in the dark powder & epoxy. Tray for bottles is loose in the box so if she wants to remove the bottles and just use it as a nice box at some point she can.

Purpleheart & African Mahogany.

If I were doing again:
-Would not glue the S upside down :anguished:
-Find wide-mouth bottles for easier memory retrieval (had to glue purple ribbon to each to get them started then you twist them out
-More magnet testing - got exactly the effect I wanted before the wax was added, but the wax dulled the magnetic effect more than I expected. A stronger magnet in the wand would probably do it.
-Concealed magnetic strip inside the box bottom to hold the blank bottles in place

8 Likes

Thank you SO much for posting this part. It’s always helpful to learn from the mistakes of others.
I am sorry to confess that this admission makes me guffaw out loud. I’m not sure I would have even noticed if you hadn’t said. :smile:
Pesky invertogramous characters!

I think the phrase is, ‘if I ever make something that’s perfect, I’m keeping it, because it will never happen again!’

1 Like

Channeling your inner AvE I see.

How long 'til someone asks the feeds be made bigger?

Not sure why the resolution is higher on 3 of them(@Kentamanos should be 300x168 on all of them, but some are 450x253) , they were made thumbnails to protect privacy, the goal is to see if someone is using the space and not be able to see who they are. The actual security footage is recorded in HD

I think it’s great the way it is. It tells you enough to know whether to get in the car and head over.

I can tell you the history behind this. Everyone was in agreement that automotive should be small (300px) so you can’t read license plates. On the other three cams, there were no license plates involved, so some people requested (and I was one of them) that those other three cams be increased in size so you can see a little better what is going on. Especially with high resolution monitors, a 300px display is pretty darn small - it’s big enough to tell if there is a car on the lift but it’s less useful for human-sized objects. Even at the 450px size you really can’t identify specific people so I would think that privacy still isn’t an issue.

2 Likes

Been playing around on the plasma cam for some Christmas presents for my family :slight_smile:
Huge thanks to @TBJK for the excellent class and just being helpful anytime he’s around!
Ran both through the sand blaster afterward.

16 gauge steel name plate for my sister and her husband:

22 gauge steel Easter decoration for my mom and dad (verse is Matthew 28:6):

12 Likes