Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - April 2017

When I was much younger, I used to love viewing Magic Eye hidden images. (Autostereograms / Single-image stereograms) Not long ago, my kids found one of my old books and had a great time figuring out the images. Seeing the resolution that I was able to get with the Thunder laser, I decided to see if I could get one of these images engraved on wood. Here is my first test etching an autostereogram into plywood I found in the scrap bin. The piece is ~12" x 6". Even though it would look better on higher quality wood (better grain), I am still calling this a success. It’s harder to view in this pic than in person, but you should still be able to view the hidden message. (hint… letters)

My plan is to workout the best settings and then make a few different images to go on the top of boxes for my daughters. I also think this would be an awesome addition to a puzzle box. You could hide clues in the etching.

16 Likes

this is my own HAAS related project. A wallet back embossing plate in aluminum. This can be used directly on leather but what I plan to do is to use it as my master for casting these in an aluminum infused resin. BTW, I learned the casting part at DMS, where else? I’m not worried about the tool marks on the bottom since the leather will never bottom out.
cheers!

21 Likes

A) that’s awesome!
B) the “learned casting @ DMS” part just makes it cooler!
C) was wondering about the machine marks; great share!
D) I like the machine pattern marks that DO make their way to the leather (on the “squished” parts).
:thumbsup:

yeah, I haven’t thrown in in the tumbler yet or hit it with the industrial brillo pad. that should get rid of those, but then it is only a prototype. cheers!

I can vouch to the success… Kenny let me check it out, and I was able to see the hidden message!! :smiley:

1 Like

Woah. This a cool idea!

2 Likes

We made all the signs/guestbook tree at DMS, using vinyl stencils and laser. @merissa

19 Likes

Wow! Very nice work!

Anamorphic image with the Thunder laser. My image needs and settings need adjusting, but you can still see the effect.

11 Likes

That’s awesome! I picked out the image quickly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Plastic figures from the Freebie Shelf and some lids from orange juice bottles converted into statues for use as terrain for the Frostgrave tabletop skirmish game.

16 Likes

Just to add to this, here’s another pic of all the decorations we made for my sister’s wedding. Tools used: saws and sanders in woodshop, vinyl cutter, thunder laser. The guestbook tree was definitely the biggest hit. The tree was rastered on then there were dogwood flowers cut out for people to write their names on and add to the tree. So many people were impressed with it and the invitations I did back a few months ago on the zing (sorry, think I forgot to post in that month’s show and tell so included a pic now) and asked how we were able to make everything, so we got lots of opportunities to brag on our makerspace :slight_smile: A makerspace just opened this month in Knoxville (where the wedding was), so I’m hoping we inspired a lot of folks to check it out.

20 Likes

Very beautiful - and the fact they are all hand crafted makes them special.

Great work!

1 Like

That looks so great!!!

1 Like

I smell some new Etsy thousandaires coming up in the houzz

2 Likes

Seriously nice work and so cool you used many DMS tools. I bet they really loved them.

2 Likes

Small dog brooch I sand cast in pewter. This is a reproduction of a 2nd-3rd C. Roman brooch on display at Dallas Museum of Art that I will cast again later in bronze and enamel.

22 Likes

While not technically made, persay, these shots were taken during the camping trip this weekend. Nicole bought some of those fun chemicals to turn the fire different colors and this was the result.

These aren’t edited in any way, other than cropped.

14 Likes

While minor by maker standards I’m excited to have made our first laser cut jewelry thanks to the hands on laser practice class.

16 Likes

That was the cheesiest best campout thing ever!

I see dragons.

Edited: We also burned bad makes and scraps. Frugal folk, we are.