Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - April 2017

That is remarkable. Well done!

Edit: Is it something you learned at the space, or something you should teach?

Double edit: What if someday DMS did a Art Museum takeover where we duplicated one thing we saw there? (OMGEE, can you imagine the press???)

1 Like

Made this during John’s rotary laser class tonight.

17 Likes

Attended John’s outstanding laser rotary class tonight, and I’m glad I did. I can promise you that I would have messed up a few cups had I tried this on my own. This was my first attempt during the class. 2 passes.

18 Likes

Very nice!! @talkers is putting my sandblasted tumbler etching to shame! :smiley: #INeedToLearnThis

2 Likes

Not minor - just a smaller in size, the skills needed are same as bigger project, don’t sell your skills and achievements short.

3 Likes

No, I picked up the carving and casting skills in several different places over a period of several years. I taught a class last March on pewter, lead, and zinc casting and am working up another class plus a more advanced class later on casting some more complex shapes.

Yes! I definitely recommend a visit to Dallas Museum of Art for inspiration on Makers’ ideas.

5 Likes

I made three dog Nose Work boxes. Each one is 12x12x12 with a 4" hole in one side. There is a perforated baffle inside to separate the box into two chambers. The back side has a hinged door with a magnetic catch. The perforated baffle keeps the dog from being able to ingest the scent target, while still allowing the dog to smell the target. These are made of half-inch BCX plywood cut on the Delta tablesaw, nailed up with air nailers at the space. All edges are sanded smooth and the edges of the hole were rounded with a 1/8" roundover router bit. DMS router table, my router bit. :smiley:

Here’s one of the boxes:

And here’s a back view showing the partition and my scent target (a drilled out pill bottle with scented felt pads inside), oh and a helper:

And here’s my helper again, Moses (my avatar!) showing proper alert behavior when he “hits” on a target - “down” with his nose as close to the scent as he can get:

With three boxes, I can have one “hot” and two empty targets, or add decoys, like his favorite toy.

11 Likes

Ty. I just have big plans and a hurry to get there lol

What are you training to hit on

We took a class at What A Great Dog, the instructor uses the United Kennel Club standard. It’s a cocktail of Myrrh, Anise, Clove, Birch and Vetiver (whatever that is).

If we stick with it, he’ll eventually be able to distinguish each individual scent. Hopefully…

1 Like

Added a little vinyl art to my new ukulele this morning. It needed a little more island’y feels.

15 Likes

This is a brass embossing plate I cut out on the HAAS. Unlike standard 2d tool parts, this is a cut in all 3 axis to get the 3d effect. The depth is only 0.11" which is sufficient for leather. This really pushed the limits of our old HAAS. the main challenge was cutting a 350K file on a machine with 75K of memory. All in all, I’m very happy with this. More to come.

18 Likes

Awesome Nick! Roughly how long did the cutting take?

it should have only taken 1 1/2 hours. but because the haas doesn’t have enough memory, I kept having to figure out small chunks to send (drip mode didn’t work well). it kept giving me transfer problems so all said and done it was about 4 hours. I’m gonna have to figure out a plan B for doing large files.

2 Likes

Last night my 9 year old son taught his 8 year old buddy how to use tinkercad. They sat down, focussed, created and this was the result of their little training session.

Not only proud of son for teaching others, but that he did a good enough job for his buddy to create this figure. Needless to say I printed it out for him, so he can hopefully keep up his creative spirit.

21 Likes

That’s the level of instruction I need …

Kudos to your son!

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Kenny’s Cheesy Adventures

Amazing work NIck! I was a a volunteer firefighter once upon a time and so firefighting paraphernalia has a special meaning to me.

Thank you. I’ve got another one I plan to make with the firefighter on one knee with a fire hose

I’ll post this as I worked on them Saturday. Carved items intended to cast into jewelry at some further date…

12 Likes