Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - April 2017

this is an embossing roll prototype I made for use with belt straps. I made a pair of softjaws for the Kurt vise to hold the rolls and to surface/size them I then center cut the hole and the keyway on the HAAS. I then take that over to my 4-axis at home (damn I wish we had one for the HAAS) to cut the pattern into the roll. The final product will be done in brass. ALUM is just what I had on hand today. If the leather sig ever gets a belt embosser I’d love to make some rolls for them. cheers!

16 Likes

Very neat! :smiley:

1 Like

This is so neat! Where do you get all the old batteries?

I got some of them off the freebie shelf, though most of those​ cells ended up being really old and low capacity. The rest are from IT at work. They had a handful they were going to recycle.

2 Likes

I am ready for teacher appreciation week. I also made a Texas pendant for a friend.

16 Likes

I was missing a speaker mount so I drew up the existing one and printed a matching one. Printed with PETG and spray painted. Thanks to @themitch22 for the printing help! (Side by side comparison below)

EDIT: Now posted on Thingiverse!

18 Likes

Honestly I can’t tell the original from the copy

2 Likes

The copy is the one with locknuts that DON’T use color-matched nylon inserts.

I mean, how tacky can you get? :smiley:

1 Like

My wife wanted a wallet. I made her a wallet. Here’s an imgur album. :smiley:

Details:
Tandy “4-5 oz” shoulder (measured at just under 4 oz.). Dyed with Tandy Eco-Flow Waterstain (tan and brown). Punched with 4mm LC Diamond Hole Punch Pro, stitching is orange 0.8mm Ritza Tiger Thread. Edges burnished with cocobolo Dremel burnisher and beeswax.

Disclaimer. three dogs were frightened during the construction of this wallet (they hate when I hammer anything) but recovered nicely.

(edit: the dog is the same as my avatar, about a year older :smiley: )

12 Likes

Have you posted the design file somewhere (like thingiverse)? It looks great and would probably be really useful to lots of people.

4 Likes

Splendid idea! I just posted and added the link.

2 Likes

probably useful as a Vive Lighthouse mount too

1 Like

That is exactly what I was thinking!

I replaced a leaking pinion seal on the rear differential on my truck. Unlike the last drivetrain seal I replaced I didn’t smash the everliving shit out of my thumb with a hammer. The last seal took me something like 16 hours and this took around 5 hours. Hopefully the next will be even less because I have another leaky seal to go!

12 Likes

Made this the other week. Customer wanted a room divider with the twist being that the center panels be steel so that magnets could be attached.

Materials, ended up using red oak and rolls of galvanized roof flashing. The wood was finished with semi gloss polyurethane.

Turned out as planned, customer happy.

19 Likes

I’ve been trying to fine tune my SeeMeCNC Eris delta printer using Proto-pasta aromatic coffee PLA

I was able to print this creepy teeth cup that @Heather_Williamee 's friend, Lily, designed.

I also am trying out a battery for making my printer into a backpack so I can carry it around conventions while it’s printing. I will be switching to the 11.1V lipo pack instead but I thought an SLA battery would work fine (It just can’t keep the hotend temps up.

10 Likes

That coffee cup, so awesome

1 Like

The HAAS CNC mill is alive and well and back in business. Phil Davis completed his class project and completed his domino. Phil was a legacy student from before we lost the featureCAM license. thanks for your patience. Next class is May 2. cheers!

18 Likes

@phil_davis Good Going! Now enjoy the pleasure of buying expensive pieces of metal to machine!

2 Likes

Shapeoko Test Cut using pieces of laminated plywood. I like the contrast! However, on small or thin areas (like the eyes), the laminate tends to fall off when the end mill gets near it. That’s OK though because it gave me an excuse to add googly eyes! hehe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20 Likes