Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - April 2017

This thing is totally awesome, saw it when he was done (the lighter). Of course in true Maker fashion, already working on he improved 2.0 version!

3 Likes

I am always amazed at the skill of the Makers at DMS. Very nice work Brian! I especially like the woodshop logo. Maybe we could have woodshop aprons made with the logo. @John_Marlow what do you think about programming the babylock to embroidery the logo?

We can do that. Not in the next couple weeks though, but probably early in May.

The Metaza impact printer would make short work of that lighter Brian :slight_smile:

I paid someone on Etsy to do the dms logo design. From what I remember it was $10/15 I had both Chris and Nick do a test run (thank you)

1 Like

The Metaza would work fine, except that I wanted to expose the brass beneath the plating. The Multicam allows me to regulate the depth of cut more precisely. It made short work of it as well.

3 Likes

With the help of Science and some very willing teachers - @Josh_Melnick and the protein extracting master professor - Ayden and I extracted his DNA.
I was super impressed.

The class wasn’t very well attended but it was very interesting. My wild and free little man (almost) was a good student. He left happy and questioning what DNA is all about. Pretty good if you ask me.

Josh said that more DNA classes are coming down the pipeline including some about testing your ancestry. I’ve always wanted to do that! Hopefully more people will attend and learn.

6 Likes

I made a stitching pony based on the ones Mike @HankCowdog made for the space. Knobs made from his parameterized star knob on Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:664192

11 Likes

Took the advanced laser class tonight and (with the help of John and everyone in the class) made a tumbler for Aydens dad. It’s a drawing my son did of them cheering for the cowboys. I used adobe capture to make quick work of the drawing. Fun easy stuff. Really appreciated the class and I’m sure he will enjoy the Easter gift from Ayden.

19 Likes

Gel Electrophoresis, ran on a PCR from Sunday, working on building a series of classes with members Alda, Chalo, Kobin and Eric for Biology.

14 Likes

I did an image transfer to wood using a special transfer paper from France that peels off as opposed to having to rub the transfer paper off (which can leave dull photos or white spots where the transfer paper isn’t fully rubbed off). The color reproduction was very well toned (the white spots in the bottom left are because I’m impatient and didn’t let it dry fully before trying to peel it up) and the next image I try will be playing with the negative space on stained wood.

I also laser etched an agate geode slice and was mainly testing out my settings to see how well it would show up. When I do another one, I’m definitely going to be upping the DPI to 1000 (as opposed to 500) to deal with some of the lines running through the etching and I’ll be using much smaller patterns (less etched area). One image is seen from the front with a backlight, one is seen from behind with a backlight, and one is seen just after etching with no backlight (and a nifty pattern from the overlap burned into a paper towel).

(click for larger images)

-the purring dork

15 Likes

Awesome! Got a link for the paper?

I got hitched on April the 8th! Leading up to it I took a class from @nausser915 to help me shake some rust off my soldering skills and learn to work with the finicky little “findings” that are the bottom part of the cuff link After that was squared away I then I turned out these cufflinks individually designed fore each groomsman. 4/5 are printed using the metaza from creative arts. Many many many thanks to @mreynolds for educating me on the metaza. The metaza prints beautifully on sterling silver apparently. My recommendation is to make sure you have a very well polished piece going into printing on it to minimize the amount of polishing you have to do after your’e done printing. The designed are fairly robust to rubbing though. The one for the best man, 2nd in the individual pictures, is hand punched and patinated. The lettering is 0’s and 1’s since we are both programmers and carries a hidden binary message. Hope you have your ascii tables handy.

24 Likes

Those are Amazing ~ I love how they are personalized for each groomsman!

[quote="TheDapperGinger, post:65, topic:19226"] I got hitched on April the 8th! [/quote]

Congrats!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

Great job Austin! They came out beautifully. Also congrats, welcome to to old ball and chain gang

Ya, the paper can be found over here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/466125994/50-sheets-of-image-transfer-paper-for?ref=shop_home_active_2

He ships from France (although he apparently moved to Portugal recently) so it took about a month and half to actually get the paper in the mail. If you want to buy a couple sheets off me, I’d be down for that.

-the purring dork

2 Likes

I made a dovetailed block on the Bridgeport. The block clamps onto the ways on my Taig microlathe and acts as a travel stop for the carriage/cross slide when I am using the dial indicator.

I bought an 8-flute 45 degree dovetail cutter from MSC, after a misfire with another cutter. The first cutter I bought specified the cutting width as 1/4". Much to my surprise, that was the tip to centerline distance, and it would only cut a dovetail 1/8" deep. Since I needed a 1/4" dovetail, I had to buy a 3/4" cutter.

Here is the part during machining. First I cut the U-gouge using a half-inch endmill, and then I made multiple edge passes with the dovetail cutter - each one at full Z depth but progressively further into the dovetail slot. @BobKarnaugh pointed out that the tiny tips of the cutter were likely fragile so I took a lot of very shallow passes - probably more conservatively than needed.

I subsequently ran an end mill along the inner top pointy edge of the dovetail to eliminate the sharp knife edge.

This is a simple part. I posted this here because it seemed to be an interesting curiosity while I was machining it - we don’t stock dovetail cutters so not too many people cut dovetails on the Bridgeport.

19 Likes

@John_Marlow that looks great. I haven’t had the opportunity to cut a dovetail, but will likely have the need in the future. Don’t be surprised if I hit you up for some advise. cheers!

3 Likes

Thanks to Beth ( @dryad2b ) for teaching the hand-built pottery class and glazing class. I am very happy with how my piece turned out.

13 Likes

I’m not done yet, but I’ve almost salvaged enough 18650 cells from laptop batteries to make a 500 Wh battery pack.

The cells in neat rows are ones that have been tested and verified to have at least 1800 mAh of capacity left. The box is full of cells that are still good, but are low capacity. I’m currently just shy of 80 cells above 1800 mAh, though I have a box with maybe another 40 cells that need to be tested and might yield something.

11 Likes