Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - April 2017

I was able to meet our new tabletop loom Lulu on Tuesday. It was delightful. Lots of errors or “uniqueness” in my sample but I really did enjoy the process and music of it.

We have specifics and logistics in place for using the loom so it’s not a one person tool. See Jeannie for specifics on that @kyrithia. Keep an eye towards the calendar for more classes on Lulu.

11 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Jorge’s Project: Leather Wrist Ruler

I hope it’s a good thing. You never know with Reddit.

@Ian_Jaeger - that mixer plate is awesome! Have you put it out on Thingiverse?

2 Likes

At least Nicky wasn’t in the room to see this betrayal!:kissing_closed_eyes:

I put her in debtors prison. She needs a time out - such a drama queen.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Want to get your hands on Lulu the Tabletop Loom?

Awesome stuff, way better than the standard CAT tool changers that come with VF2:

I’m out of the country the next few days… I may do that when I get back.

Worked a little bit more on the other side of the tank. Took about 45 minutes to get to this point. I used the throatless shear, shrinker, & English wheel.

13 Likes

Lol. My real info is all available since I make and sell a lot of steampunk stuff. So my Reddit account is pretty tame :wink:

1 Like

I made Reddit earlier this year. I was in one of the 8-Bit Guy’s videos. :slight_smile:

I’m just happy to have made it in a good way.

1 Like

I guess it’s loom month here at DMS. So, here’s another. a “Fixed Heddle Loom” made for the Ladies in Fiber Arts. This is a hardwood version made from quilted maple, mahogony, and walnut. I also did a “kit” version, that can be made from plywood.

I’m going to change to a steel ratchet in the final version, which can easily be scaled to most any size.

Played around a bit on the big CNC router today, and did a little diamond dragging. Dressed up a plain old zippo lighter:

17 Likes

@Tapper BRIAN IT’ STUNNING. I’M SO EXCITED!

5 Likes

You ought to laser etch in the DMS logo etc. like Mike Churchill did on the stitch ponies. Include made by on it. Want people when they see this excellent piece of craftsmanship to know it was made here and by whom. Great work.

3 Likes

To be clear, this is on the loom. Not the Zippo. :boom:

Yes, the loom. Laser doesn’t do raw metal.

1 Like

What a work of art! That loom is a thing of beauty.

3 Likes

Omg!! Blowing me away.

4 Likes

I saw the Zippo earlier tonight and it looks amazing! I love the texture that the diamond drag bit engraving gives it!

I haven’t seen the loom in person yet, but it’s beautiful in the picture! I imagine it’s even more so in person! Thanks for all you do for the Space, @Tapper! :dms: :smiley:

2 Likes

Simply gorgeous! Looking forward to the test-drive. Thank you so much for all the work you’ve put in on this!

4 Likes