Jorge's Project: Leather Wrist Ruler

MODERATOR’S NOTE: This was originally shared in the Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - April 2017 thread; but, is a great example of using tools and resources available at Dallas Makerspace, as well as the willingness of our members to teach others on how to do the same!

Since members have asked how to do some of the steps, I wanted to pull the discussion out so it can have a life of it’s own. I’m putting the new thread in the #creative-arts:leatherworking category; but, it would also fit very well in the #interest-groups:projects category. @Webdevel - if you would like it moved to the #interest-groups:projects category, just let @Team_Moderators know! :smiley:

5 Likes

I know this is a simple thing but could you show me how to set the studs you used someday please. I’m interested.

1 Like

gladly! ----------------

@uglyknees, I’ll be at DMS tonight and can show you how to set snaps in leather.

7pm - midnight, perhaps earlier/later.

1 Like

I just found you on reddit! :wink:

Well, two seconds after I wrote that I found out I can’t come up today. Busy gal.

I’m everywhere!!! !!!

Another related reply that didn’t get moved because it was also in response to another unrelated project:

I’ll be at the space from about 4-7 Friday night. If you happen to be there I can show you how to set these kinds of button studs.

I can’t come :frowning: symphony tickets
First world problems

no worries. next time then!

I’m going to be at the Maker Space this afternoon around 4-7 to cut more of these wrist rulers. If anyone would like to watch, or chat come on over. I can probably even be persuaded to give you a copy of the file I made for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

crying on the inside - radiant from the outside per my norm :slight_smile:

@webdevel, the more I look at your ruler wristbands, the more I like them :+1:

Would you mind sharing the file? You could store them on the Shared Committees drive (Comittees Drive\creativearts\Leatherworking[your folder name]) for general access…

1 Like

I’m going to be at the space Thursday mid-day and this weekend - will either of you be available to show me? No biggie if not.

@uglyknees
Can’t make it this week (traveling on Friday). Perhaps this video would sort it out for you? They say a picture is worth 1,000 words.

The main thing is to use the rounded anvil under the cap of the snap so that it isn’t flattened when hammering.

I’m not sure if I’ll make it there this weekend yet. If I can, it’ll be on Sunday. Did you want to learn how to set Snaps like in the video or button studs like I used on the wrist ruler? I think I’m confused.

Studs - I think they are more tuned with my aesthetic.

I should be there at some point this weekend and i can show you how to set those ‘aesthetic’ studs.

We could probably work through the leather/laser part too if Jorge can share his file?

Noted. I’ll be finishing a few more wrist rulers this evening. I’ll make a short video for you in case we don’t get a chance to get together.