Dallas Library seeks artist proposals

Dallas Public Library is requesting design proposals for a kid-friendly walking path leading from the sidewalk to the main entrance of the J. Erik Jonsson Central Library at 1515 Young Street, 75201. The goal is to create an unexpected, playful atmosphere to welcome children when they get off the bus for a field trip, come to a library program, or accompany their parents to the vital statistics office.

https://dallaslibrary.submittable.com/submit/113230/plaza-playground-pathway-design-call-for-proposals

2 Likes

Sounds like a fun project for Fired Arts.

1 Like

so… uhm how many throwies can we use?

2 Likes

I have same question, except with trap doors?

1 Like

well that’s always going to be, all the trap doors even the secret ones hidden in dimensional folds :wink:

2 Likes

well they do come in handy when trapped in pocket dimentions: http://wiki.technicpack.net/Transdimensional_Trapdoor

1 Like

As long as the pockets hold a couple of bothers each, I am for it!

1 Like

Most throwies consist of just an LED, cell battery, magnet and something to hold it together. If you want to go first class with blinking patterns, color change, sound or sleep for a while, you need to add a small cheap microcontroller like the ATtiny. Makerspace classes are incredibly diverse. This Sunday @malcolmputer is offering a KiCAD class showing how design a PCB for the ATtiny85! I’m developing a class on Arduino: Exploring the Mighty ATtiny85! which will be offered in about three weeks. I will try to add a lab exercise on building an awesome throwie!

cc: @Team_Electronics

2 Likes

The ATtiny and Arduino are great devices but pail in comparision to the esp8266 and ice40

Esp8266 demo

Blinky on ice40

1 Like

I totally concur with your “pail in comparison” comment. I have an ESP8266 on a Wemos D1 Mini board sending the Blitzen Thunder laser chiller tube temperatures to the cloud every twenty seconds. In June, I plan to have a class based on this project.

1 Like

count me in for that class.

1 Like