Cutting EVA foam - Thunder Laser

Looking over the documentation, I wanted to check with someone who might have cut EVA foam on Thunder and see if the settings listed are accurate.

All that is listed is “foam” which is a pretty broad category. It lists speed at 11 and max power at 60. Has anyone used these settings or had better results with a different set up?

It should be ok… just be sure to wait a few extra seconds or so to be sure the fumes clear…

Here’s a related thread:

I've cut it on a previous laser of ours with no problem. I couldn't say what the best settings with our current lasers would be.

Don’t just trust the book and start cutting. Do a small test square cut first. You’ll find the book is often wrong.

1 Like

EVA foam will vary in thickness and density. It does cut very nicely without much power.

Add your results to the book.

Just a quick follow up. I did a successful cut of EVA floor mats (1/2 inch thick) with a laser power of 30 and speed of 1500. Any power less than that and it will not cut through, which means, theoretically, you could score this foam at that thickness. I will be trying to score at a later date and will post results.

1 Like

Scoring for bending works quite well. If you do several score lines parallel to each other you can pull out the thin fins that get left over and get larger more round bends.