EVA Foam, can it be cut?

I wanted to triple check if it is ok to cut EVA foam with the laser, Based on the banned list it seemed like vinyl was banned due to chlorine gas, and based on my understanding the EVA foam has vinyl but it is not chlorinated.

This is the doc I was reading on EVA

“In summary, with the exception of paints, glues and certain films, “vinyl” as a product
description almost always means made of PVC. The term vinyl in ethylene vinyl acetate
(EVA), polyethylene vinyl acetate (PEVA), polyvinyl acetate (PVA), and polyvinyl butyral
(PVB), however, does not refer to PVC and does not raise the same concerns associated
with chlorinated molecules like PVC.”

Yep EVA is good to go.

Just be sure once you are finished let it fully vent.

Robert Davidson

I am planning to come in today just to practice on some different thicknesses of EVA, I looked at the log after the class and did not see any notes on EVA.

Anyone know what ballpark I should start for foam like this?

Are you planning to cut it or raster it?

Mostly just cutting out some basic shapes. And maybe “engraving” some very basic stuff If cutting goes well.

Run the sample pattern test

I guess even with the vent the foam smell made it to the front area :frowning: . I guess in the future for eva the garage door needs to be open as well.

The fan should have been strong enough to exhaust unless the cheap flex
tube is broken.

While it might be safe to cut. It does not get a vote for excellence. The stink permeated the whole building.

I thought a machine had been broken and a plastic part had been burned.

How/Who would be able to check the flex tube?

I would really like to use the laser for foam again, but without stinking the space up.

The flex tube was covered in Styrofoam blocks behind the laser. I would
also suggest the whole exhaust be checked for leaks (it could be leaking
above the ceiling tiles).

I used a Water Based Smoke Machine in the past. The other option is to just run your hand around it.

Since it smelled up the whole building it’s likely leaking above the ceiling.

Assuming you gave it time to clear then there really should be no smell.

Aside from the test pattern I only ran two jobs at about 12-15 minutes each so the machine was only ever opened three times. I waited until any smoke/haze was clear and the air looked “clean”.

I don’t imagine the three times opened would be enough to reach the front, but just to double check should I wait longer in the future?