Custom embroidery

What program is used to design an embroidery piece for the Viking embroidery machine?

We should ask @themitch22 , as he has done that.

@John_Marlow – Didn’t we have a SewArts program? Since the Viking is much more flexible about what files it reads, that should work. With my luck, that one machine it was loaded on in Digital Arts has died or been replaced.

You can use pretty much any embroidery software, the Vikings takes any of the comment embroidery file types. They range from basic free programs to $$$$. And it’s fairly complicated. I recommended if you are going to try it, bring your laptop up to the space and work near the machine. You’ll have a much better go of it as you’ll be able to test the settings you tweak. It’s kinda hard to tell on screen what something is going to stitch out like.

1 Like

We do have a SewArt program. I don’t know where it’s installed … we need to find the license number so we can get it updated. It can save the output to nearly any type of embroidery file, including HUS and VP3 which are the preferred formats for the Viking.

1 Like

Slight off topic,
Have we ever reached out to embroidery suite to see if we could get a couple free licenses for DMS. This is the best software in my opinion an industry standard. Plus, it works well with illustrator for moving from vector to embroidery.

2 Likes

@themitch22 what program did you use for the patch embroidery for Sub Zero? Is it one we have on Maker’s Space computers?

Not to put words into @themitch22 's mouth … but this post describes what he did and links to the free software plugin he used.

2 Likes

The Subzero patches I had a friend of mine on the east cost make them, I believe he paid someone to digitize them. Having someone digitizing them doesn’t cost a lot and might be worth it for your time. But @John_Marlow is correct, Inkstitch for Inkscape, I watched a few tutorials and figured it out. The silkstitch thing is hard to use so most of it’s regular fill stitching.

1 Like