Criticism of DMS leadership must be especially tolerated

I was saying it’s a sign of maturity to accept “no” as an answer and move on. Only an immature person would keep making the same argument over and over.

4 Likes

Oh I thought this post was talking about criticism of leadership roles I was unaware it was about personal definitions of maturity

Point of information:

There are quite a few people on the spectrum in our organization, as well as folks that take things extremely literally and have a hard time moving on if specific details of their questions aren’t answered.

What looks like an answer to people who are wired like the majority looks like a non-answer for the intricacies of a very specific detailed question for someone who needs that specific information to move forward.

I think that may be what happened in this case.

1 Like

Assuming someone is on the spectrum because they don’t know how to act is kinda insensitive to people actually on the spectrum, IMO.

1 Like

I’m referring to people who actually are on the spectrum and no offense is intended. I didn’t mention names but I do recognize patterns.

According to at least one psychologist I hired who does autism testing, ADHD is now considered part of the spectrum, so I’d be insulting myself.

I also said some people need specific details to move on, and when they don’t get them, they don’t move on.

I’m not here to argue. I’m trying to shed light on something most people don’t consider. That’s all.

1 Like

People should be understanding and flexible, yes. At the same time social norms are determined by the tyranny of the majority and those that are neuro atypical are expected to show them deference.

neuro atypical vs psycho atypical?

Edit: my bad, I looked it up as I didn’t think it was a real term, at least in wikipedia they leave out the space i.e. neuroatypical. They also use neurodivergent as an synonym.

I find that rude to people on the spectrum As someone with Mensa Verified 135 iq, i agree we should be mindly of the members with lowered mental capacity, after all we’re only responsible for what we say not what people are able to understand

10 Likes

I agree it would make little sense to repeatedly appeal to an authority who has made it known they consider the matter settled. That is not what is being discussed here. The point is that its important that members be able to appeal directly to the membership as part of the process of holding leadership accountable.

1 Like

Of course one is free to appeal to the membership. When the membership responds with yawns, crickets, and the sound of the world’s smallest violin, how many more times should one appeal to the membership with the same point?

4 Likes

74% of members, 60% of Green Dots and 55% of Voters do not look at Talk at least once a month

From Bert Rabbe’s research
Revised Update on Usage of Talk by DMS Members

1 Like

I agree, repeatedly posting the same pleas to a board that most members don’t look at is immature and pointless!

2 Likes

The largest voting block in US is non-voters, whats your point?

2 Likes

My point is that Talk is not the membership, far from it. Those active on Talk are a small group. I attempted to get some other active in membership meetings to talk about things and provide some criticism.

I created a discussion point at the membership meeting

Groups and Committees

We have had a number of groups formed within the makerspace. Groups are much like committees in that they are groups of people that are gathered for a management or an advisory purpose. Group members are appointed rather than an open membership. There has been some movement in the definition of a group and how that may differ from a committee. I would like to discuss groups and how they relate to the rest of the space. I would also like to discuss what structure they should hold and if they should have transparency, oversight and/or minutes.

However,

@Julie-Harris said

We can set up office hours to discuss. I’ll work on setting this up.

@Edenblue our President at the time

I feel it is a topic best discussed during office hours. It will take up some time and I want an opportunity for all committees to speak and discuss things on their minds should they choose.
Since I doubt we could keep this discussion to under five mins, it is best in a different forum.

I think they wanted to constrain criticism to the board office hours. Members need to be able to talk to each other, unrestricted and without having to pay for it, (see proposed bylaw changes.)
They canceled regular membership meeting.

@chimpera

1 Like

Your point is that you want the board want the board to sit in a room with you for hours at your whim and let you pedant on continually about how things are not to your utopian dreams. This is not the board’s purpose. The board is a non-paid position and volunteer. There is only so much time that anyone can expect from such an arrangement.

Further, based on this,

you are putting in your own thoughts about the intent or direction of the board. Nobody is restricting the membership from meeting. You are getting all hung up about meeting names and meeting titles and its all about pedantism for you.

As it stand currently nothing stops you from putting up events to meet with people. EXCEPT PEOPLE NOT SHOWING UP TO HEAR WHAT YOU SAY. Stop blaming the board. Start realizing that if there was a want or need people would do so. As it stands, this really appears all about fulfilling your vision and not the will of the membership, voting or otherwise.

3 Likes

What is stopping this now? There’s a DMS subreddit, and it’s free to create another subreddit if you don’t like that one. Or create a(nother) Facebook group. Or discord (is that free?). And on and on. Hell, create a newsgroup or a listserv.

2 Likes

What are you on about? Office Hours was just another venue for D&O to be present for members to discuss DMS concerns. Many members made use of the time.

Next we install a meter for $0.02/word. (and you know that is a joke, right?)

3 Likes

Part of the proposed bylaw changes include

The Secretary may require members in good standing calling for Member Meetings via petition to pay the costs of notification prior to scheduling such a meeting.

Since regular member meetings have been nixed, member meetings may cost money for a member to raise concerns to the voting membership.

Membership meetings are different than other events on the calendar in that they require notice. Notice must be sent to all voting members in some manner.

I suggested over a year ago that we get all voting members to sign something or click something verifying the method of notification they want. We wouldn’t have to incur cost but no one has been willing or able to setup something.

The board and officers are not required to be at membership meetings, only the President to lead the meeting. I personally think we as a membership should be able to vote to who leads the meetings and how they would be held. It is one of the few ways that the membership gets a real voice. Office hours are ran by the board and officers not the membership. In order for the membership to be able to decide if they need to remove board members, they need information and the ability to speak freely to each other.

So to sum up. No, another forum or event does not do the same because of notice and the power vested in member meetings.

1 Like

Additionally, it appears that some of the other proposed bylaw changes include limiting what membership meetings can talk about.