Creative Arts Room To Do list

Creative Arts Tasks:

1. Wipe down all the dust from the tops of the cabinets and cubbies. I know that this doesn’t sound super necessary, but there are a lot of our volunteers who are allergic to dust mites (like me) and it will help them to be able to volunteer help for longer without risking their health.

2. Find all of the door trim for both doors and reinstall it. Adding the flooring meant that it had to be shortened to accommodate. One set has already been shortened on the band saw, the other set will need to be too. Use scrap flooring to determine by how much.

3. Round up all extra boxed flooring as well as the painting, scraping, etc. supplies and work with Logistics to put them in the storage closet. @Kriskat30 had an idea for saving the remainder of the paint for future touch-ups.

4. Flat Files:
    a. Move the other set of flat files from the old CA room to the new CA room and set them up next to the new set up against the wall.
    b. BE SURE TO PUT SCRAP FLOORING UNDER THE FLAT FILES SO AS NOT TO SCRATCH THE NEW FLOORING. There is some next to/under the new flat files to use.

5. Remove all artwork from the old CA room, including vinyl signage. Anything that can be salvaged can be put in a box and we will possibly hang it back up in the new CA room. I’m not sure the string art is salvageable, but you could try.

6. @Barrett_Gruner you left your yellow square tool.

I will edit with more items as things get done and new things come to my attention.

Edit: Added/removed/updated things.

4 Likes

1. Location. Per the egress plan that the city originally approved, the Fire Extinguisher is supposed to go near the door.

2. ADA Protrusion Limit. The ADA protrusion limit precludes the fire extinguisher from being on the drywall right next to the door, because it would impede the egress path. The protrusion limit for the “circulation path” is 4".

3. ADA Mounting Height. Between 15" and 48" off of the floor. The pictures below from the ADA handbook show the acceptable range of mounting heights.

3 Likes

The flat files need to be dropped and the ones left in old ca stacked on top of the ones already in the new room. Is that correct @BarkingChicken?

I’d rather not stack them if we don’t have to because we start to lose top as usable work space if they are too high. I think they will fit on that wall like this:

Stan and I just looked and if we do it that way we will need to move those cubbies n the wall out of the way.

In that case it might be better to put them in front of the window and stack the cubbies that are in front of the window right now on top of each other. Unless that’s going to block too much of the resin rack. I was hoping to mount the new mat cutter to the top of the flat files. But use your best judgement. If they don’t fit we will just have to stack them.

I can head up there and measure some time this week. We want to hopefully give back old ca by next weekend.

I’ll be back up there Sunday.

@John_Marlow

(Shay said to ask you)

Soooo, question on the fire extinguisher placement

I read it can’t be right beside the right of door on that little bit of drywall since it’s that 4" rule…

Current drawing has it suggested around the corner in the weaving area which seems generally accessible but out of the way, buuuut it’s going to actually be something to dodge going back and forth working with the looms

QUESTION
Would anything prevent it from being on the long wall where it’s got clearance from door, fits all other placement requirements (height etc), but won’t be in a place where we’ll REALLY have to be careful dodging it in the weaving area. still room for accessible and 4" thing but less in the way

We can deal if need be, but it’d be MUCH nicer on the other wall if possible

I put a blue dot sorta roughly where I was thinking

To visualize, the loom will be oriented with one end against back wall so that front and back are easily accessible

The weaver seated will have back to glass wall and have to constantly be walking around the extinguisher avoiding bumping it.

Pulling further away will greatly reduce that area for usage since it will cut into room for the small loom to be left set up

WAAAAY better on other wall if at all possible. Then it’ll just be next to shelves/cabinets, not poking into a movement path

Like I said, we can make it work, but dang it’d be nice to not worry about bumping it all the time going by, if it’ll work near the door but on the long wall instead

We need to look up how much turning space, etc. is required for clearance for a wheelchair in that location. I believe that if we position the fire extinguisher outside of that required area we should be OK. As long as the fire ext. itself isn’t obstructed by other stuff around it …

1 Like

I think there’s currently just rolling shelves immediately next to that area. I think there’s still wiggle room next to them or might could move some things around in the room since a couple cabinets etc are still in progress on location etc

Folks, keep in mind that this is an Emergency Exit door only. Next week we will be adding a local alarm to the push bar on this door. The reason for the alarm is to prevent people from exiting with high dollar items, as in theft. The same type of alarm will be installed on the other Emergency Exit between the new 3D Fab and the Electronics Lab.

Those of you that are used to going out these doors for a quick exit or smoke break will have to change their ways. When the alarm goes off it will need a physical key to reset the loud and annoying alarm. The key will be locked up in the Server Room.

3 Likes

I assume we might be putting a big splashy new sign on there since exiting there is pretty common?

Or that alarm will be going off a lot until the word spreads :expressionless:

Yeh, the crash bar that’s on there is red and says (something to the effect of) ALARMED.

1 Like

Sounds like someone needs to vinyl cut something face height that says

Alarmed … no Really…
Do not exit unless on fire
or an emergency

1 Like

We might try putting one of those A-frame signs like they use for “wet floor” in front of the door (with a sign on it) as a reminder for the first month or so. I’m sure someone official will say that’s blocking the exit, but in reality it weighs what - a few ounces? - so it wouldn’t be much of an impediment in an emergency. We would just need to remove it when we have official inspections.

STOP

Emergency Exit Only

(Walking is Healthy,
Loud Piecing Alarms
can harm hearing and
Annoy Everyone)

3 Likes

It might be a good idea to move the big outdoor cigarette disposal signed over to the other side that would kind of give folks the idea that you got to go out the other door to smoke now.

1 Like

It was originally installed where @krythia indicated. There is a ratty plastic sign that makes a protruding triangle to indicate the location that attaches to the wall up high with two screws. Screw holes are still visible. However, somebody spackled over the big anchor hole where the bracket screwed into the wall.

Edit: I don’t think it’s possible to mount where Chris indicated, as that wall is a WINDOW.

Edit 2: spackled

We also need to reinstall doorstops in the two smaller rooms, but if reinstalling the originals, it will involve drilling through the new flooring AND into the cement below.

1 Like

Could we get wall mounted doorstops instead? https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=wall+mounted+door+stop

1 Like