Creative Arts needs you! Saturday and Sunday July 13th and 14th

Absolutely, let’s keep the momentum going so we can get into the new space and get acclimated. We will have three different areas to teach in so that is exciting.
And I believe Shay got us a gift but I havent been up there to inspect boxes.

3 Likes

Sounds good. We also have that giant leather-working table in storage that needs to be picked up.

1 Like

With the caveat that once placed IS NEVER MOVING AGAIN. Or so the CA minutes read. There was also some stuff in the CA report about modifications needed for the table. Has anybody given that thought?

1 Like

The table legs, while somewhat worn, don’t need to be immediately replaced soon. We can plan for that later after we are settled

12" lag bolts and heavy duty epoxy can make sure the minutes remain true.

1 Like

There were comments about attaching the skiver. Then elsewhere, comments about attaching skiver elsewhere.

Might be a great time to resurface and refinish the tabletop. Wait, I was thinking of the bowling alley top.

1 Like

I’m curious now. Are we burying treasure under there? Why can’t it move

Yeah, this puppy is a giant slab of granite.

Pffft. “It’s heavy” is an entirely reasonable and logical answer. I’m going to require something more fun from CA to use on tours about what’s hidden under the table.

Shall I quickly felt a Poe heart to hide in the floorboards? Mayhap that’s the real door to Monte Christos tomb?

from Aug. 2018 CA meeting minutes powerpoint

Actually the underside of stone is interesting if I recall…tombstone(??), engraved, or something…

@Webdevel will know I think

We have a second tabletop being made with the help from @malcolmputer and hopefully an extra volunteer or two. @AlexRhodes agreed to donate more bowling alley flooring for it a while back (hopefully that’s still available).

1 Like

We talked about it in the SIG at some point, but put everything on hold because of uncertainty. Depending on space, I’d rather propose getting something smaller to mount the skiver and hand presses. But that can be figured out after we’re settled in the new home.

Whatever gets moved into CA new flooring areas MUST have polymer feet pads. Ie no bare metal feet, because that is what has scratched up interactive.

2 Likes

The granite on the table is indeed a tombstone with a mistake on it. Great way to re-purpose that stone if you ask me.

We want to put bins (exact kind not yet decided) on the shelf below it to store some items, like mallets.

For the skiver, and two hand presses, we want to mount those to a separate smaller table. Ideally this would have wheels on it that lock. This is a nice to have, not a need to have. something with at least one drawer to keep the dies that go with them.

We do not want to mount anything to the table surface. That should be kept clear for cutting and tooling.

This is, of course, unless @jnorine has different thoughts since I abandoned this to him. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We can definitely add something to the feet to protect the flooring. Instead of “feet” though, what about an entire mat underneath?

1 Like

Cut pieces of sorbothane would be fine, and resist movement.

2 Likes

I would not be opposed to getting some of the strain mats like these for areas where lots of standing is expected. Does anybody know where we can get a good deal?

1 Like

Just realized we’re essentially talking about the same thing.

1 Like