Creative Arts Meeting - Tuesday, Sept 8, 2020 @7 p.m

We are overdue for a meeting, but need to approve some purchases of consumables and talk about other stuff relating to our committee space.

Dial-In meeting link:
https://meet.google.com/jsu-fexq-nhs
if using a device like a smartphone or tablet to connect, please get the Google Meet app downloaded onto said device ahead of time to save yourself some time and frustration.

Link to Agenda (and eventual minutes)
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Creative_Arts_Committee_Meeting_20200908

Here are things to be thinking about for the meeting:
(1) What tools/machinery do we really need to have “training required” on? Personally, I think we need to remove restrictions on several items in our stable like the standard sewing machines, and for the ones that really DO need training, but don’t really need one-on-one eye contact teaching, build a video/quiz model like 3D Fab is implementing and other committees have utilized.

(2) Besides the supplies that Cary has requested for DyeSub, what items are needed for other topic areas in the committee space?

(3) Is there anybody out there willing to lead the Fiberarts SIG forward? Is there anybody willing to take over the Sewing SIG?

Edit 1 - adding Google Meet link
Edit 2 - adding link to Agenda

2 Likes

That is the night one of my bowling leagues starts, so I won’t be able to attend. I’m going to try to put together an online training for dye sub, with an in person checkout.

2 Likes

One of the great things about Google Meet for meetings is the live captioning. I’ve found it surprisingly accurate.

1 Like

Got that right!

Unless the people talking are too far from the microphone. Then it’s gobbledegook.

I was pleasantly surprised listening to the candidate forum.

But I threw in the towel and quit the July Woodshop meeting. It might as well have been populated by Peppermint Patty’s teachers.

1 Like

Ill work on getting a Google meet setup

2 Likes

This is a great topic for discussion. I can tell you from history that one reason training was required on some equipment was to control access to expensive consumables.

I recommend we remove the training requirement on the Babylock embroidery machine. While people may want training, if they’re comfortable with it, I don’t think they need training. That machine has detailed usage instructions on the wiki, along with a one-page summary of the bare minimum you need to know to operate the machine safely.

I’d like to see us adopt a one-page template for things where we remove the training requirement, for instance, if we remove the training requirement for sergers.

3 Likes

I have no doubt you already know this, but I want to take another opportunity to get this in front of viewers. This link was posted here and every opportunity to repost will make it more likely to be findable when needed: Jim’s excellent walkthrough of using Google Calendar and other G-Suite tools like Meet (including how to start recording): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEU_3xAoF-Q

We are old and having technical issues, but got it set up. Ill post it later.

2 Likes

I think we need some intermediate step. Like, check-off required? I’ve certainly added folks to the AD group with a few minutes of “here’s the different stuff”, and “show me what you can do”. Buuuutttt… some Makers feel overly-confident. Woodshop went to Training Required because even those who thought they were competent needed some guidance. I’d hate to find broken stuff because people just forged ahead without necessary skill.

1 Like

I think the thor and the commercial machine need training. Anything else can really be you tubed.

2 Likes

Join with Google Meet on Tuesday https://meet.google.com/jsu-fexq-nhs

1 Like

Note to committee members and other interested parties attending:
If you plan to attend using a mobile device, you will probably need the mobile app for Google Meet already installed.

Edit: tagging committee members I can think of off the top of my head-

@coffeebean @Starreyedgirl @Roberthines544 @jnorine, @CaryF300 @BarkingChicken @uglyknees @talkers @Webdevel @dryad2b @Lordrook @classielassie @John_Marlow @jmeinel @mreynolds

Feel free to tag others as you think of them

5 Likes

@Team_Creative_Arts

1 Like

Is meeting in person as well?

1 Like

I intend to be there in person. Got me a wireless conference call doodad to yell at, and have a stand for ye olde iPad for camera visual.

I’ve reserved Interactive.

Johnny has jewelry meeting scheduled at same time. Didn’t pay attention to his location, though.

3 Likes

I’d be happy to volunteer to do in person checkouts for Dye Sub.

Cindy

1 Like

Feel free to assign your proxy to somebody. Not that there will be any opposition to your request, but…

Should I officially throw my hat in the ring for the Sewing SIG?

1 Like

Sure. I’d prefer to just hand it off. And you’re available to show people where stuff is.

2 Likes

You have my proxy, Judy. I’m pro anthing to make Creative Arts better, faster, stronger.

2 Likes