COVID-19 - Classes and Meetings at DMS

We are asking that everyone follow a social distancing policy as recommended by the CDC. In order to facilitate this, we would like to request that all meetings be held online, preferably with Google Meet. If you need instructions to set up a meeting with Google Meet, please watch the video below:

We would also like to have more classes online when possible. We would like to test a couple of classes first that would be eligible for honorarium. If you would like to have an online class, please contact [email protected].

We will monitor the calendar and will unfortunately have to cancel classes, meetings or events that are deemed an unacceptable level of risk or that do not comply with local or CDC guidelines.

@Committee_Chairs

10 Likes

I can do a crochet class with a supply list so people can order online.

What are the guidelines for digital media classes? Will participants need to make something? Do digital graphics count? How about resumes?

@dougemes, do you want any train the trainer help with remote instruction?

I have Zoom personally as well as Google Meet through the space.

3 Likes

Hi,

As far as wood shop basics and turning classes go. We aren’t prepared to teach what I feel are effective classes online at this point. Would you like me to reach out to the instructor group and put them on hold at this point?

I’ve been following most of the CDC posts and I do think a “sooner we distance now, the sooner we get back to business as usual” approach has merit. Just my opinion of course. Let me know and I’ll make it so.

Thank you.

8 Likes

I was under the impression that the CDC was concerned about groups of over 25 people? Am I wrong? I know that we have the occasional event that goes over that number, but most hands-on classes are substantially smaller than that.

Personally I think classes and events should continue insofar as it’s legal and official meetings should be conducted with an online option.

1 Like

Classes with no more than 8 people (including teacher(s)), and personal projects. The 6 foot rule should be followed as much as possible, with larger (4-5+ people ) groups actively discouraged from forming.

1 Like

I’d also add that if someone shows up with sniffles or coughing, they should be sent home. I know it sucks, but it’s for the best.

(I say this as someone who is officially stuck at home with some sort of respiratory illness that I’m hoping is just a run of the mill cold)

Re limit 25?

CDC, today’s recommendations

Wankers… and some characters.

Go look at the main web site…

This info needs to be shared on the public facing side as well. We have many people there watch our calendar, and come in for the public classes.

@Team_PR

calm down. they are working on it

3 Likes

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20200316_Special_Meeting

We are working to update and share as quickly as possible.

6 Likes

Thank you board members and officers for all of your efforts lately! It’s clear you all take the health and safety of the space and its members very seriously, and it’s much appreciated.

5 Likes

This is likely the right move, but what sort of wind down procedures are in place? Will users be able to pick up projects that are currently in storage? Will committees be allowed in to do any sort of maintenance work or mothball items for the time being?

1 Like

You can pick up projects until midnight Tuesday. After that it will remain in storage until we reopen.

2 Likes

I sent out emails to people about purgatory, I will be modifying the extension and removal dates when we get back up and running

2 Likes

If we are temporarily closing, can someone post a link on the bottom of each of these threads, then close? Having a hard time getting real story. TIA!

I will devote at least 3 hours tomorrow night starting at 7pm local, we will initially meet in discord, and walk through the process of installing apps, etc. for those unfamiliar with discord, you can get a direct link to our server by visiting chat.dallasmakerspace.org which will provide you the link to our real time server.

Expect to find me in the #education channel, if not also in #general-2 audio channel.

7 Likes

Thanks Doug, I can offer my services to help and get people supported in discord as well once they are in the app. I’ll hang out in a chatroom as well.

If anyone knows python, our chatbot uses it and can be updated with cool features.

5 Likes