Cooking Appreciation Thread

OOOO.
Maths.
I like when cooking breaks out the maths skills.
I suck at it, but I do so love it!
(don’t forget, kids, similar equations work in 3 dimensions, too, for volumes!) :+1:

1 Like

Yep. I didn’t worry about the 3rd dimension because skillets and casseroles are about the same height.

1 Like

If you wanna try bread, this recipe is dead-easy and only uses 1/2 tsp of yeast (about 1/4 of one of the little packets). Takes 18-24 hours, though, so not a last-minute dinner decision.

For fun, I filmed the initial prep: it takes less than two and a half minutes (not including getting the ingredients out of the cabinet).

Prep prior to going into the oven takes even less time.

1 Like

I’ve tried two loaves of bread thus far. One I forgot to lower my oven rack and it got stuck to the top of the oven (no fun) and the other was over proofed. I’ll try again soon, but my ego was bruised when it wasn’t perfect the first time. For right now the store has enough bread and I’ve got enough other things I want to try making.

2 Likes

Signature Bread Company is delivering flour and live yeast if you are in the delivery area.

https://www.signaturebaking.com

2 Likes

Just found a whole jar hidden among my condiments, so I’m good, thanks.

1 Like

Oh I usually eyeball it. Maybe 1.25 cups before cooking. The result should be more saucy than you’d expect.

1 Like

This recipe is extremely forgiving. I’ve been making it about every 10 days and it doesn’t last long. The tricky bit is letting it cool for a bit before slicing. Everyone likes bread hot from the oven, but letting it at least mostly cool improves the texture.

One fun part is that it is so hot and crispy when it comes out of the oven that you can actually hear it cracking as it cools. I’ve heard it crack from 15 feet away.

3 Likes

Yeah- that is always the tradeoff. Really hot butter-melting bread, but you just squooshed the loaf…

1 Like

If you want something simple, but tasty… and kid chef friendly, peel, core, and slice up an apple. Put it in a small Corningware bowl, sprinkle cinnamon on top, then put a couple of heaping teaspoons of brown sugar on top. Microwave for 2 minutes, let cool for a bit, and enjoy!

2 Likes

Dump some chopped walnuts, pecans, or raisins into the core if you want.

1 Like

You’ve pretty much put in what we use. Our family would use an apple corer, then put each in a small individual pyrex type dish, stuff the center hole that was cored out, bake and serve directly to table. super simple but elegant looking.

2 Likes

Also @John_Marlow and @BarkingChicken…I highly recommend Chef John. His YouTube channel is one of my favorites to watch. His channel is called Food Wishes. Here’s the video specifically for the popovers.
https://youtu.be/N31uK3vu9Jc

2 Likes

I’ve been doing waaaaaaaay too much cooking for a single person that lives alone. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Let’s see…

• sous vide & smoked brisket (to die for!!!)

• 3 quiches with homemade smoked bacon

• sous vide lamb

• French onion soup (using some of the sous vide brisket juice and sous vide onion juice)

• Katherine Hepburn brownies (Best brownies ever! Google them!!!)

11 Likes

Made three pizzas worth of dough and this was the last of them. I ran out of cheese so I went and bought some from a local pizza place nearby, whatever cheese they’re using didn’t bubble or burn, so I got to keep the pizza in long enough to get a nice brown crust, even though I used a toaster oven with no fancy stone/steel/etc.

5 Likes

Really great plate!

Found this outstanding recipe for Swedish meatballs a few years ago. A little non-Traditional because it contains some gruyere. But insanely delicious. The sauce would make a pair of COVID-covered flip-flops taste good.

I add a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce to the sauce, because I always have with Swedish meatballs, omit the salt and use lower sodium beef broth. I add a splash of Kitchen Bouquet (a mostly flavorless caramel color browning sauce) to darken the sauce a bit.

My balls were a little large this time so I cut them in half before baking with the noodles and sauce.

4 Likes

Homemade English Muffins

6 Likes

1/2 batch dinner rolls awaiting oven

Ready for the table

Well, except for the topcoat which I didn’t photograph.

6 Likes

Lemon bars and lemon muffins.

10 Likes