Cooking Appreciation Thread

Lmao! Yeah…

2 Likes

Ooh, thanks for the tip! I’ve got a bread recipe that calls for powdered milk and the box full of envelopes is a pain.

3 Likes

You all are making me hungry.

Here are a couple of my latest. Strawberry cinnamon roll french toast.

Tomahawk ribeye. Perfect medium rare.

5 Likes

As a youngster, we always had powdered milk in the house. It came in a box that looked and worked just like dry dishwasher detergent; same box, same metal pour spout, same basic texture…
I never knew why we had it, since we ran a small dairy farm, we had plenty of milk in the fridge. The only thing I recall ever using it for was peanut butter balls. LIke so:
peanut-butter-balls.pdf (118.0 KB)
(From here.)
We didn’t roll them in corn flakes or any thing else. Just made the balls and served 'em up. Such fond memories…
(As a side note, back in those days, schools received “government goods”; things like peanuts, peanut butter, honey, powdered milk, corn flakes… all stuff that was, according to the legends, subsidized by The Fed by buying “surplus” which was then distributed to schools for their lunch programs. Legend has these were super-popular in schools owing to the fact that they could be made at no cost to the school. I never had any there…)

Damn. Now I want some of them soooo bad. But I have none of the ingredients… :frowning:

1 Like

Strawberry cinnamon roll is not a combination I’ve ever heard of, but it immediately makes my mouth water!

2 Likes

I shared this in the April Show and Tell already, but I recently decided to tackle a good pizza. Yeah, I know, right when yeast is rare.

My criteria were that it needed to require little to no kneading and be mostly hands off. So, a long proofing time was fine, but a lot of hands-on work wasn’t. I found this recipe from Serious Eats. I trust their recipes to always be culinarily sound, even if they sometimes need a little bit of tweaking to be to my personal preference.

It was pretty easy and turned out a pretty delicious pizza crust. One batch of the recipe fit two quarter sheet pans, which is a personal pizza each for the two of us with some leftover for lunch the next day.

My only notes are that I had to move the rack in my oven down a bit and turn the oven down to 500F instead of 550F. 15 minutes and the bottom of my crust was golden brown and amazing.

Bonus picture: I originally made a honey-serrano sauce that I learned that I would have to throw away after using because I used fresh peppers (a botulism risk). I made it again with dehydrated habanero and it turned out freaking amazing. I’m a big fan of the Honey Bastard pizza at Cane Rosso, so now I can make something similar at home!

8 Likes

Man the hardest part was making the box to look the same.

Lol Just kidding :rofl:. I think this was are second time to eat something other than homemade in 2-3 weeks.

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing the pizza crust info!

1 Like

Thanks for the dough recipe! I’ve been looking for an easy one. Here’s our shortcut: premade dough for $2 at Tom Thumb. Sold in a bag next to the deli pizzas. Makes to 12" crusts. Unfortunately, it’s hit or miss whether the store has them in stock. Would like to try your recipe.

We make ours in a Dutch oven. The trapped steam makes for a great crust. Learned this 4 years ago for camp cooking. Works in kitchen oven too.

5 Likes

I love my dutch oven, so I might give this a try sometime. I’m hoping I can learn to partially bake some crusts to freeze for a future bake. With my energy issues I’m all about having emergency meals in the freezer for the days when I’ve overdone things that are at least one step above junk food.

2 Likes

No problem! I was really impressed with it!

Ikea just released their Swedish meatball recipe.

5 Likes

…missing how much pasta you use (cooked or precooked).

I like to cook, even when not under lockdown. I’ve been posting “COVID cooking” posts on Facebook and sharing the recipes when asked.

I’ve been making homemade bread (I have a low-effort version that’s excellent), made pan pizza a couple of times, various casserole-style dishes, fajitas, enchiladas, “fe fi faux pho” (a pho-like soup), and most recently pineapple upside down cake (yesterday was National Pineapple Upside Down Cake Day).

6 Likes

And for round two…

Four cheese bacon and jalapeno Patty melts

Chicken and shrimp fried rice with Yakitori

Omelette toast and country fried potatoes

Roasted seasoned chicken with rustic butter mashed potatoes and blonde pepper gravy

6 Likes

As Alton Brown would say GBD or Golden Brown and Delicious.

2 Likes

Just cleaned out my fridge and found a brand new jar of yeast hidden among the condiments. I’m in business for as many pizzas as my heart can handle now!

3 Likes

Made bread yesterday. Nothing special, but my…4th and 5th, or so, loaves of all time…

Still lots of improving to do, but they’re tasty.

8 Likes

Did you use the skillet in the pic to make the PUdC?

Yes, a 12" Wagner skillet. I do most of my cooking in cast iron.

I used this recipe, with the following changes:

• 12" cast iron skillet instead of 13x9 pan
  • Smaller, 15.5 oz can of pineapple rings
  • 22 maraschino cherries (probably more than a 6 oz jar)
  • I combined the sugar and butter and melted both together on the stove top a bit (and preheated the skillet in the process). Wooden spoon to stir so as not to wreck the pan’s seasoning.
  • 44 mins cooking time to get to GBD.

Key to de-panning in one piece is to run a knife around the rim and invert over a plate immediately after removal from the oven. Then just let it sit for 5 minutes and it’ll release from the pan.

note: a 12" skillet usually works in lieu of a 13x9 pan:

• 13 x 9 pan is 117 sq inches
  • 12" skillet is 6 x 6 x pi = 113 square inches (close enough)
  • 10" skillet is 5 x 5 x pi = 78 square inches (way too small)
4 Likes